Extraordinary long weekend – no deaths but still dangerous driving, South Australia

With ANZAC day falling on a Sunday this year, South Australians enjoyed an unusual long weekend to mark the occasion. In order to deter dangerous road behaviors and reduce the likelihood of the long weekend resulting in lives lost on the roads, SAPOL conducted the state – wide ‘Operation Safe Long Weekend – ANZAC 2021’, from Friday 23 April – Monday 26 April 2021.

There were no lives lost on the roads during this operation, however the following results were reported:

  • 17,421 alcotests were conducted with 66 positive results during the period of this operation (0.38%).
  • 339 drug tests were conducted with 218 drivers returning a positive result (64.3%).
  • 704 speed offences were detected
  • 7 seatbelt offences were detected
  • 409 distraction offences were detected
  • 22 drivers were arrested or reported for driving whilst disqualified

Superintendent Bob Gray, Officer in Charge Traffic Services Branch says the community can breath a sigh of relief that nobody was killed over the weekend but this doesn’t mean there can be complacency about dangerous driving behaviours.

“It is pleasing to see that no lives were lost this weekend but really it is pure luck that none of the offences reported during this period didn’t result in death or serious injury,” Supt Gray said.

“Until there are zero detections of drink/drug driving, speeding, distraction and seatbelt non-compliance, South Australians are still endangering themselves and each other on the roads.

Most people do the right thing and we commend them for that. But the others who refuse to head the warnings must be caught and stopped.”

There have been 37 lives lost on SA roads so far this year – the same number as at the same time last year.

-ENDS-

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.