Focusing on reporting of illegal dumping

A new education campaign by Blue Mountains City Council is focusing on how to report illegal dumping.
RID Sign

The Hazardous waste… together we’ve got it sorted campaign, running to June 2021, is providing easy-to-understand and up-to-date information to residents, home renovators and home renovation businesses.

This month the focus is on the impact illegal dumping has on communities and, how we can empower residents to report suspicious behaviour.

How to make a report: If you encounter illegal dumping, you can report it using the NSW EPA hotline 131 555 or via the EPA’s online reporting service RID online at

What you should include in a report: When reporting illegal dumping incidents please provide as much detail as possible, including the:

  • Location of the illegally dumped material.
  • Is the material blocking a road, driveway or private property?
  • Is the material on public or private property?
  • Description of the material.
  • Date that you first noticed the material.
  • Information about the dumper (e.g. name, licence plate number, description of dumper or vehicle).

It is important to provide as much information as possible to ensure the RID Squad have sufficient information to determine if there is an environmental or health risk.

Blue Mountains Mayor Mark Greenhill said: “I urge residents to report any person or vehicle seen illegally dumping on your street, fire trail, or in our parks, reserves or bushland.

“Council is working very closely with the RID squad to investigate these offences.”

This has been produced as part of the Council’s Enforceable Undertaking with SafeWork NSW. The full undertaking is available at

Watch the video – Report Illegal Dumping

Watch the video – Disposing hazardous waste correctly

Watch the video – Types of hazardous waste

Get more information at

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.