Homicide Squad detectives have arrested a fourth man as investigations continue into the shooting murder of a senior member of an outlaw motorcycle gang (OMCG) in the state’s Central West earlier this year.
About 10.50am on Tuesday 14 January 2020, police and emergency services responded to reports a man had been shot at a property on Catombal Road, Eurimbla, about 50km south of Wellington.
Officers attached to Orana Mid-Western Police District attended and located the body of a 60-year-old man inside the home. He had suffered a gunshot wound to the head.
The man has been formally identified as Bandidos OMCG Central West Chapter President, Shane De Britt.
A crime scene was established at the property and examined by specialist forensic officers.
The State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad, assisted by Criminal Groups Squad and Orana Mid-Western Police District detectives, commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the man’s death under Strike Force Kerrison.
In the last month, strike force detectives have arrested three men – aged 58, 39 and 22 – at Dubbo and Wellington. All three were charged over their alleged roles in the shooting murder and remain before the courts.
Following further investigations, Homicide Squad detectives arrested a 38-year-old man at a home at Orange about 8.30am today (Tuesday 22 September 2020).
A search warrant is currently underway at the Orange home.
The man has been taken to Orange Police Station, where charges are expected to be laid.
The Homicide Squad’s Detective Chief Inspector Wayne Walpole said Strike Force Kerrison detectives are once again appealing to the community to come forward with any information relating to the murder.
“Earlier this month, officers from the Public Order and Riot Squad conducted a search at Pinnacle Reserve at Orange, where they located parts of a shotgun,” Det Ch Insp Walpole said.
“This weapon was found in pieces and initial inquiries suggest it may have been used in the shooting murder at Eurimbla in January.
“Additionally, we’ve followed-up on other information received throughout the investigation, which has seen the seizure of seven firearms – which as we know, when in the wrong hands, are dangerous and a serious threat to the safety of our community.
“As our inquiries continue, we are continuing to seek support from the public as we know there are people in the local area who have information about this incident but have not yet come forward,” Det Ch Insp Walpole said.
Investigations under Strike Force Kerrison are ongoing.
Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Kerrison investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.