The Seafood Industry Awards hosted by the NT Seafood Councillast night recognised outstanding industry achievements, showcasing the depth oftalent and entrepreneurship of the industry and its value to the NorthernTerritory economy.
Categories including Seafood Business (big and small),Industry Ambassador, Industry Young Achiever and Peoples Choice Best Take-AwayFish and Chip see industry, government and hospitality sectors come together tocelebrate their collective achievements.
Taking home the gong for both Judges Choice and PeoplesChoice Take-Away fish and chips, Frying Nemo proved themselves as the localbenchmark for the ever popular take-away choice.
Recognised for his dedication to the industry ChrisCalogeras was nominated for the National Seafood Industry Hall of Fame for over30 years of service.
Known for his dedication to the industry and having a uniquebackground in both the public and private sectors including with Fisheries NT,as a business operator, researcher and industry consultant, Mr Calogerasis well-deserving of his nomination.
Bob Richards of Humpty Doo Barramundi was also recognisedfor his lobbying efforts for national legislation reform to see a country oforigin label on all seafood and was acknowledged for his efforts via theIndustry Ambassador Award.
Department of Primary Industry and Resources own AquacultureResearch Officer Sam Nowland was recognised as the industries young achieverfor her innovative research on tropical oysters, working in partnership withTraditional Owners to develop a new industry.
The full list of 2019 winners are:
- Business Award (Small): Mr Barra Pty Ltd
- Business Award (Large): Monsoon Aquatic
- NT Judges Choice Take-Away Fish and ChipsAward: Frying Nemo Fish and Chippery
- NT Peoples Choice Choice Take-Away Fish andChips Award: Frying Nemo Fish and Chippery
- Industry Ambassador Awards: Bob Richards
- People Development Award (Highly Commended):Affectus
- Restaurant Award: Snapper Rocks Bar and Kitchen
- Safety Award: Paspaley Pearling Company
- Young Achiever: Samantha Nowland
- 2019 National Hall of Fame Nominee: ChrisCalogeras
As noted by Minister forPrimary Industry and Resources:
The seafood industry and commercial fishing plays a largerole in the local and domestic export economy of the NT and creates a lot ofjobs.
I congratulate all those recognised for their outstanding workand it was sensational to see all aspects of the industry come together tocelebrate those achievements last night.