Creating jobs for Tasmanians is the number one priority of the Hodgman Liberal Government, and a key component of this is getting young Tasmanians into fulfilling and rewarding careers.
That’s why the Government has extended the successful payroll tax rebate scheme to support the employment of around 4,500 apprenticeships and trainees, and we’ve extended and increased the Small Business Grant for Apprenticeships and Trainees, to support around 500 new apprenticeships.
It’s an important part of our Plan to increase the number of apprentices and trainees by 40 per cent by 2025, and it’s working.
Tasmania is leading the nation with trades training commencements growing by 20.7 per cent over the 12 months to March 2018, a rate of growth that is five times greater than the national growth rate of 4.2 per cent over the same period.
Businesses like Launceston’s Cataract on Paterson are able to take advantage of the Government’s incentives to take on new apprentices and trainees.
Under the Hodgman Liberal Government;
- 117 employers are currently taking advantage of the Payroll Tax Rebate Scheme which is supporting 1,234 apprentices and trainees, and 236 youth employees.
- 1,661 Small Businesses are approved for the Small Business Grants Program.
- Tasmania continues to have the highest completion rates for apprentices and trainees in Australia, at 58.1 per cent, compared to 52.7 per cent nationally.
- The number of construction trades apprentices in training increased by 11.1 per cent over the 12 months to March 2018.
- There has been a 32 per cent increase in government-funded vocational education students from January to June this year.
Not only are our apprentice and trainee support initiatives working to get more young Tasmanians into work, but the Government’s disciplined economic management has seen business conditions and confidence reach the highest levels in the country, which encourages local businesses to create jobs.
This is great news for Tasmania and shows that our Plan to take Tasmania to the next level is delivering.