Construction on Waverley Council’s streetscape upgrade of Glenayr Avenue, North Bondi, between Hall Street and Warners Avenue is due to begin today.
Key features of the upgrade include:
- building raised continuous footpaths and intersection treatments
- renewing existing raised pedestrian crossings
- investigating improvements to existing bike route
- planting of additional trees and greenery
- installing high-quality paving in commercial areas
- improving stormwater drainage
- incorporating water sensitive urban design, like raingardens
- installing new multipurpose poles, with integrated signage, smart lighting and electric vehicle charging capabilities.
Mayor of Waverley, Paula Masselos, said placemaking and street activation are key principles of this streetscape upgrade.
“This pocket of North Bondi is a real neighbourhood gem and we are delighted to be beautifying this highly-visited section of Glenayr Avenue,” Mayor Masselos said.
“Waverley Council is delivering several streetscape upgrades in Waverley to help green and cool our urban landscape and make our villages an even better place to live, visit and do business in.”
Streetscape works will be done in stages to minimise impacts on residents and businesses.
The design has been developed from feedback from community consultations and several Council-endorsed strategies, including the Community Strategic Plan, Environmental Action Plan, Strategic Asset Management Plan, Our Liveable Places Centres Strategy, and People Movement and Places.
To minimise impacts on residents and businesses, Mack Civil, on behalf of Waverley Council, is conducting the works in stages. These works will include:
- electrical works
- driveway, footpath, kerb & gutter reconstruction
- New pedestrian crossings and signage
- New paving and landscaping
- Installation of multipurpose poles & lighting
- road re-sheeting.
All work is expected to be completed by the end of November 2022 (weather permitting). Works will occur between 7am and 5pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 3pm on Saturday (if required). Affected residents and businesses will be advised in advance if work falls outside these hours.
Our concept images, as well as supporting documents that provide more in-depth information about this project, can be found in the Document Library at https://haveyoursay.waverley.nsw.gov.au/glenayravestreetscape