Caption: Mayor Dr Peter Gangemi congratulates Shubha and Dr Aksheya Kumar on the India Club’s successful ‘Snack and Chat’ grant.
Six community grants totalling $46,212 have been awarded under The Hills Shire Council’s Community Grants Program 2022/2023.
Carols by candlelight, a multicultural forum, family fun days and community events are among the projects funded.
Mayor of The Hills Shire, Dr Peter Gangemi, said Council’s grants program supports local groups to conduct important and innovative work within the community.
“Council seeks to support the community as much as possible and I am glad we have been able to do that through the grants program,” Mayor Gangemi said.
“I’m delighted with the scope of the projects we have funded, and the tangible benefits they offer to our residents.”
“We have forums that connect the community, projects that empower people through information and events that celebrate life in The Hills – all of these add value to our community,” Mayor Gangemi added.
Initiatives receiving funding include:
- Glenhaven Carols by Candlelight – presenting Christmas Carols at Glenhaven Oval for over 4000 people
- Hills Community Aid and Information Service – holding two Family Fun Day programs focusing on NAIDOC Week and Youth Week celebrations
- The India Club Inc – hosting ‘Snack and Chat’ forums for people from diverse and multicultural communities to foster social cohesiveness and wellbeing, enriched with guest speakers
- Council of Indian Australians Inc – holding the Deepavali Fair 2022 ‘Festival of Lights’ celebration event in Castle Hill
- Norwest Sunrise Rotary Club – hosting Community Connect – a community day aimed at addressing social isolation and showcasing a variety of community groups
- Eastbend Rural Communications – support to produce the Living Heritage magazine distributed in the Hills Shire’s rural north.
The applications for 2022/2023 were assessed under Council’s Community Grants Program Guidelines within the Community Grants and Donations Policy by the Community Grants Assessment Panel.