Help us protect and enhance our coastline
26 June 2019
Do you have an interest in protecting and enhancing the Peninsula’s coastline? You may be interested in joining a Coastal Advisory Group.
Following the reactivation of Coastal Advisory Groups (formally known as Foreshore Advisory Groups), Mornington Peninsula Shire is seeking Expressions of Interest (EOI) to join a Coastal Advisory Group for the following coastal areas:
- Mount Martha
- Mount Eliza
- Safety Beach
Mornington Peninsula Shire Mayor Councillor David Gill said “we are committed to community-based Coastal Advisory Groups advising and assisting Council in the use, development, protection and enhancement of our coastlines”.
“Community Advisory Groups are regarded as a key point of contact with the community on issues relating to the future planning and management of the Shire’s coastal areas. We encourage those community members with a passion for our coastline to apply,” concluded Councillor Gill.
Functions of Coastal Advisory Groups include:
- Assisting the Shire in the protection, future development and enhancement of coastal areas.
- To share valuable local knowledge and history.
- To participate in strategic planning for the coastal area, including the preparation, consultation, implementation and evaluation of Coastal and Marine Management Plans, Masterplans, Precinct Plans and other relevant documents relating to coastal planning and management.
- To act as a key link to the local community and key stakeholders on coastal matters related to the coastal area for which they are appointed.
In accordance with the June 2019 Terms of Reference, at Section 5.5, when an EOI is assessed the following will be considered:
- Providing new members the opportunity to join established Advisory Groups.
- Skills, local knowledge and relevant expertise and experience.
- Previous attendance records.
- Previous and current community engagement.
- Knowledge of relevant plans, strategies and other key guiding documents relevant to the future planning of the area.
- Other key stakeholder groups that applicants may be affiliated with.
Please note previous members appointed to a Foreshore Advisory Group must complete an EOI process to be considered for a formal appointment on a Coastal Advisory Group.
HOW TO SUBMIT AN EOI
EOI submissions are currently open and close Monday 5 August 2019.