Images released after re-investigation into historic armed bank robbery at Rockdale

Detectives re-investigating the armed robbery of a Rockdale bank nearly 30 years ago, have released CCTV images and are appealing for assistance from the community.

About 4.40pm on Friday 21 December 1990, a man – armed with a small handgun – entered a bank on the Princes Highway at Rockdale.

The man jumped the counter and threatened several employees – forcing one woman to lay across a counter to prevent security systems from activating – before stealing more than $52,000 cash and leaving the area.

Earlier this year, the State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad commenced a renewed investigation into the incident under Strike Force Dibden.

As inquiries continue, detectives have released CCTV images of a man who may be able to assist with the investigation.

The man depicted in the images is described as being aged in his mid-30’s, of Caucasian appearance, with a fair complexion, medium build and about 187cm tall.

He is further described as having distinctive brown curly hair, with a mullet-style cut and moustache.

The man depicted is described as wearing a white short-sleeved collared shirt, black ‘Quiksilver’ boardshorts, white ‘Reebok’ sneakers, and armed with a small bronze handgun.

Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander, Detective Acting Superintendent Grant Taylor, said police are urging the community to look closely at the images to help officers identify the man depicted.

“We know it has been a lengthy period of time since this offence was committed, but it was, and remains today, a serious and frightening crime,” Det A/Supt Taylor said.

“Since our renewed inquiries commenced, we have received information to suggest a man of a similar physical description, may have been involved in a second robbery in the Rockdale area immediately after this.

“As investigations continue, detectives will re-examine all the evidence previously obtained and we would urge anyone with information, or who may recognise the man in these images, to come forward,” Det A/Supt Taylor said.

Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Dibden investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.