The Victorian Women in Resources Awards celebrate the exceptional contribution of women to their workplaces and the industry.
Hosted by the Minerals Council of Australia and supported by the AusIMM Women in Mining Network Victoria, the awards increase awareness amongst young women of the many career paths within resources and highlight the commitment of resources companies to increasing gender diversity across their operations.
Minister for Resources Jaclyn Symes presented awards to the five categories winners during a ceremony at Melbourne Town Hall on 5 June 2019.
The 2019 Victorian Women in Mining Award Winners are:
- Exceptional Woman in Victorian Resources: Jane Burton, Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions
- Victorian Gender Diversity Champion: Craig Jetson, Newcrest Mining Limited
- Exceptional Young Woman in Victorian Resources: Bonnie Coxon, Newcrest Mining Limited
- Outstanding Australian Trade Operator or Technician: Emma McLean, Mandalay Resources
- Excellence in Company Programs and Performance: GHD
These winners have shown exceptional leadership, resilience and ways of overcoming barriers. Each will be a finalist in the Women in Resources National Awards to be held later this year. Victoria’s Melanie McCarthy of Mandalay Resources won the Exceptional Woman in Australian Resources Award in 2018.
By rewarding excellence, by showcasing the brilliant work women are doing and encouraging more women to join their ranks, the Victorian Women in Resources Awards are an important step on the road to greater workplace gender equity and a more dynamic and successful sector.
As part of a plan to attract more women to the resources sector, in March the Victorian Government entered into the Prospects Partnership with the AusIMM. Importantly, the partnership will feature scholarships to increase the capacity of women to enter leadership and board positions within the sector.