Investigation into violent Cairns robbery heads interstate

Detectives are continuing investigations into a violent attempted robbery incident that occurred at a Westcourt residence in 2014, and have now extended their inquiries interstate, Queensland Police say.

Operation Mike Tesani has been running since the incident at the Curtin Street address on October 9 that year, when a then 60-year-old man and his son arrived home and encountered a man armed with a knife in the yard of the dwelling. The man threatened the then 12-year-old boy with the knife and a scuffle ensued between the 60-year-old and the armed offender.

During the course of the scuffle, the offender stabbed the man repeatedly before fleeing the scene on foot. The offender was last seen running along Creedy Street and Gatton Street.

The victim was treated at the scene and transported to the Cairns Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. A second man was also seen to flee the scene on foot.

The victim’s son was not physically injured, however was understandably distressed as a result of the incident.

Detective Sergeant Adrian Worth said that an appeal earlier this year had been particularly beneficial to the investigation, and resulted in the receipt of valuable information from the community.

“We’ve canvassed a considerable number of associates and past employees of the victim businessman, along with several people involved in the local retail tyre industry,” Detective Sergeant Worth said.

“As a result of those inquiries, we’re now looking further afield and have sought the assistance our police colleagues in the southern states regarding a number of people we believe to be key persons of interest to the investigation.”

Investigators have also released some moving footage of two men they believe may be able to assist in the investigation.

/Public Release.