Corangamite business operators should act quickly to apply for a Retail Area Façade Improvement Program grant. Applications for the $50,000 2019-2020 program close at
5 pm on Monday August 10.
This year Council has doubled its contributions, making it easier for businesses to take advantage of the program during difficult times.
Grants of up to $3,000 are available on a $1:$2 basis instead of the usual equal share.
Manager Growth and Engagement Rory Neeson said slow trade during the coronavirus restrictions might make it a good time for businesses to jump-start the economic recovery with a shopfront makeover.
“When the pandemic finally passes, people will be eager to get out on the road and attractive shopping strips in our towns will entice more people to stop and spend,” he said.
“These grants have multiple benefits because they support the business being improved, plus the local tradespeople doing the work, and their suppliers.”
All businesses with street frontages in the commercial area of a Corangamite Shire town are eligible. Planning fees will be waived as part of the program to encourage participation, but building permit fees will still apply
Mr Neeson encouraged interested businesses to contact Council for help finetuning their application. “We want businesses to make the most of these grants, so it’s important they discuss it with us first, to make sure they have the best chance of success,” he said.
Examples of works eligible under the program include:
- Painting of the façade
- Cleaning of the existing façade
- Removal of redundant signage, air conditioning units and hoardings
- Minor repair, maintenance or reinstatement of missing elements
- Minor repairs to existing façade tile or stone accents
- Minor repairs to structural façade elements and awnings
- New repairs or replacements of verandahs
- Installation of new business signage
- Installation of store lighting visible from the street
Successful applicants will have until 31 May 2021 to complete the works.