Community and not-for-profit groups throughout the Toowoomba Region are set to benefit as a result of the latest round of funding through Council’s Community Grant Program.
At the Ordinary Meeting of Council on 10 March, Toowoomba Regional Council (TRC) approved applications for round two of the 2019/20 Community Grants Funding Round.
TRC Environment and Community Services General Manager Nick Hauser said 47 applications, totalling $227,200.96, were approved as part of the latest round.
“It’s pleasing to see the number of successful applicants which will benefit from Council’s Community Grant Program,” Mr Hauser said.
“The program is open to the community two times a year and provides assistance to community organisations throughout the Toowoomba Region.
“For anyone interested in applying in an upcoming round, please speak with our officers for guidance around applications.”
Successful grants, which were either partially or fully approved, under round two of the program for 2019/20 include:
Community Economic Development
- Cooyar Progress Association Inc. (Artwork, printing, approvals and installation of tourism and community information sign)
- Pittsworth District Alliance Inc. (Funding for components of a weekend event to showcase Pittsworth businesses to locals and visitors)
- Toowoomba and Golden West Caravan Club Inc. (A gathering of 500-600 caravan owners for a week of fellowship, entertainment, touring and social activities)
- Yarraman Business Group Inc. (Festival at the end of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail).
- Blush Cancer Care Inc. (Women’s Wellness After Cancer Forum)
- Canvas Coworking Inc. (Install insulation to the roof and roller blind on the window in meeting room)
- Clifton Megafauna Group Inc. (Printing of information flyers to inform visitors, tourists and schools of its location and contact officers)
- Crows Nest and District Tourist & Progress Association Inc. (Funding requested for design and building of webpage, design and supply artwork for maps, in order to promote the development and maintenance of mountain bike trails from Hampton to Plainby)
- Darling Downs Historical Rail Society Ltd. (Purchase of 30 function chairs for dining carriage)
- National Trust of Australia (QLD) Ltd. (Purchase pull-up banner & glass display cabinets for an interpretive space to bring heritage to life)
- Pinelands Hall Committee Inc. (Upgrade of 50-year-old kitchen utensils and furniture in the Pinelands Hall)
- Safer Toowoomba Regional Partnerships Inc. (Funding for focus groups and funding for printing and distribution of Support Finder cards)
- Toowoomba & Districts Bromeliad Society Inc. (Purchase new signage and stickers to update advertising for Bromeliad Show and Sales following organisation name change)
- Toowoomba Senior Citizens Club Inc. (Replace hazardous floor tiles to comply with safety requirements and installation of air conditioner)
- Yarraman & District Historical Society Inc. (Install safety fencing around the historic fuel tanker in Station Park, Yarraman, to ensure the tanker is secure and safe from damage or accidental harm).
Cultural and Arts Support
- Arts Council Toowoomba Inc. (A series of workshops by a local indigenous artist for youth theatre participants).
- Empire Theatre Projects Pty Ltd. (Digitising Your Collection’ workshops for small museums and galleries)
- Empire Theatres Pty Ltd. (Multicultural music workshops for newly arrived migrants to Toowoomba Region, facilitated by musicians from Mzaza, a Qld group who embrace diversity)
- Jondaryan Public Hall Committee Inc. (A theatrical production with amateur cast)
- University of Southern Queensland (A project to develop clown plays for early childhood/primary students for early intervention programs in partnership with not-for-profit community organisations in the Toowoomba Region).
- Clifton Landcare Group Inc. (Introducing new species of dung beetles to reduce emissions and increase organic matter to enable sustainable management)
- Crows Nest Community Solutions Ltd. (Dingo Mountain Parkland – Continue destruction of noxious weeds and mark walking tracks)
- Darling Downs Environmental Council Inc. (Removal of Tree Pear, Lantana, Green Panic and Privet at Eagle Nest and the trail corridor)
- Emu Creek Catchment Landcare Group Inc. (Spray weeds within Emu Creek Catchment area)
- Friends of the Escarpment Parks Toowoomba Inc. (Purchase of materials and equipment for bush regeneration of various bushland parks along the Toowoomba Range Escarpment – provision of herbicide, tools and PPE equipment).
- Back Plains & District Community Hall Association Inc. (Back Plains Bush Dance)
- Crows Nest Agricultural, Horticultural and Industrial Society Inc. (Crows Nest Country Music Festival)
- Downs Rugby Limited (2020 QLD Rugby Teenage Boys State Championship)
- Felton Hall Association Inc. (The Felton Hall Esky Bash)
- High Altitude Harmony Inc. (Wintersun Harmonies)
- North Eastern Downs – Highfields Lions Club Inc. (Lions Club of Highfields North Eastern Downs Inc. Show and Shine)
- Millmerran & District Historical Society Inc. (Opening of Water Baby Shed)
- Nobby Heritage & Development Association Inc. (Nobby Annual Three Day Walk Ups)
- Queensland Country Women’s Association Darling Downs (auspiced by The Queensland Country Women’s Association) (QCWA Southern Region Conference)
- Queensland Country Women’s Association Highfields Branch (auspiced by The Queensland Country Women’s Association) (Highfields Creative)
- Rotary Club of Toowoomba South Inc. (Milne Bay Military Challenge)
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Queensland Inc. (RSPCA Million Paws Walk 2020)
- The Scout Association of Australia Queensland Branch Inc. Darling Downs Region. (Operation Nighthawk – An overnight hike for Scouts and Venturer Scouts aged 11-18 years)
- Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc. (Annual Bonsai Show)
- Toowoomba Hospice Association Inc. (Toowoomba Camellia Show & Garden Expo)
- Toowoomba Lapidary Club Inc. (40th Toowoomba Gem Fest)
- Westbrook Focus Group Inc. (Hike to Heal).
Sport and Recreation
- Clifton Golf Club Inc. (Construct additional concrete pedestrian and cart pathways between greens and tees)
- Sporting Shooters Association of Australia Millmerran & District Branch Inc. (Refurbish and improve moveable 25 yard pistol targets)
- Newtown Lions Football Club Inc. (Upgrade Jack Martin Centre facilities)
- Football Queensland South West Ltd. (Remove turf wicket on Captain Cook fields 1 & 2)
- Range Tennis Club Inc. (Lighting installation and fencing upgrades with ‘Book-a-Court’ installation).