Community and not-for profit groups throughout the Toowoomba Region are set to benefit as a result of the latest round of funding through Council’s Community Grant Program.
In total almost $390,000 will be allocated to 68 groups under round two of the program.
Toowoomba Regional Council Environment and Community Committee Chair Councillor Geoff McDonald said the latest round of funding would help provide a helping hand to organisations throughout the region.
“I’m pleased Council has been to provide assistance to these groups,” Cr McDonald said.
“We understand the difficulties community and not-for profit groups have to find money for projects, services and facilities and Council’s Community Grant Program is in place to provide assistance.
“In particular, there were are a few applications for new events to be hosted in our regional areas which is extremely encouraging to see.
“This is a great program Council offers and I encourage more groups to speak with Council officers ahead of the next round of funding, which opens on 1 July 2019, for guidance around applications.”
The 68 projects were approved for funding at the April Ordinary Meeting of Council.
Successful grants under round two of the program for 2018/2019 include:
Community Economic Development
- Crows Nest Agricultural, Horticultural and Industrial Society Inc. (Installation of free WiFi and website redesign)
- Downs Industry Schools Co-op (DISCO) Inc. (Toowoomba Human Powered Vehicle Challenge)
- Oakey Community & Tourist Information Centre – Sub Committee of Oakey Chamber of Commerce Inc. (To provide eight premium double sided PVC banners, a television and a television bracket).
- Cecil Plains Crier Inc. (Hold a music and food festival to raise funds for drought relief)
- Crows Nest District Mens Shed Inc. (Purchase of computer and security system)
- Days for Girls Toowoomba Inc. (To create modern disposable hygiene kits for women and girls in need)
- Epilepsy Queensland Inc. (Provide training, information and support services)
- Eva’s Place Pregnancy & Early Parenting Support Inc. (Purchase marquee for Mobile Parent Facility at community events)
- Gowrie Little Plain Community Centre Inc. (Fit security door and security grill to kitchen)
- Oakey Historical Museum Society Inc. (Oakey Museum Open Day incorporating Queensland Day celebrations)
- Quota International of Toowoomba Inc. (Purchase of equipment for the new Auditory Verbal Playgroup)
- Safer Toowoomba Regional Partnerships Inc. (To distribute a survey to the Community)
- Sailability Darling Downs Inc. (To update and increase the number of personal floatation devices for the use of Sailability Darling Downs’ members)
- The Pyjama Foundation Ltd. (Resources and training for the volunteers and games for the children)
- Toowoomba Basketball Assoc. Inc. & Toowoomba Mountaineers Ltd. (Encouraging youth to make good decisions through education and sport)
- Toowoomba Together Inc. (Develop materials and media strategies to promote attitudinal and behavioural changes within sporting clubs and the community)
- Toowoomba Ukulele Group Inc. (Purchase of new P.A. systems, microphones and speakers)
- Weight Reduction Club Toowoomba Inc. (Obtain resources for the club to improve efficiency and professionalism)
- Yarraman & District Historical Society Inc. (To have four security cameras supplied and installed at Yarraman Heritage Centre)
- Yarraman Memorial Hall Society Inc. (Increase capacity at local Memorial Hall with the addition of quality furniture for community events).
Cultural & Arts Support
- Empire Theatre Projects Company Pty Ltd. (Toward the cost of activating the Empire Church Lawn)
- Pittsworth Art Group Inc. (Towards the cost of a two day oil painting workshop)
- Toowoomba Concert Band Inc. (Toward the cost of a woodwind workshop for community band and high school band members including tutorials, instrument maintenance with woodwind and full band rehearsals).
- Clifton Landcare Group Inc. (Habitat protection for endangered Bulloak Jewel Butterfly)
- Crows Nest Community Solutions Ltd. (Continue destruction of noxious weeds in Dingo Mountain Parklands Crows Nest)
- Householders Options to Protect the Environment Inc. (Flying a drone along Gowrie Creek and Crows Nest Creek to identify weeds, breeds in vegetation, blockages, erosion, presence of pest animals and identify areas of significant aesthetic values for public enjoyment)
- Ravensbourne and District Landcare Inc. (Privet removal from public land in Post Office Road Ravensbourne)
- Ravensbourne and District Landcare Inc. (Tackling roadside cats claw infestations at Palmtree)
- Royal Agricultural Society of QLD Inc. (Clear lantana and prickly pear at the Toowoomba Showgrounds)
- The Scout Association of Australia Qld Branch Inc. (Purchase of chainsaw and 100 native trees).
- Boodua Public Hall Association Inc. (Boodua Back to the 80’s Party)
- Crows Nest Agricultural, Horticultural and Industrial Society Inc. (Crows Nest Country Music Festival)
- Crows Nest and District Tourism and Progress Association Inc. (Fly Me to the Moon)
- Darling Downs Rose Society Inc. (Darling Downs Rose Society Annual Autumn Rose Show)
- Darling Downs Samoan Cultural Community Inc (Samoan Independence Day)
- Felton Hall Association Inc. (Felton Revival)
- Garden City Country Music Association Inc. (Country Music Rush)
- Highfields North Eastern Downs Lions Club Inc. (Show & Shine annual Car Show)
- Islamic Interfaith and Multicultural Organisation Inc. auspicing Thai Community of Toowoomba (Songkran Festival Toowoomba 2019)
- Leafmore Garden Society Inc. Toowoomba (Leafmore Garden Society Winter Garden School 2019)
- Lions Club of Toowoomba West Inc. auspicing Mother’s Day Classic Toowoomba Committee (Mother’s Day Classic Toowoomba)
- Queensland Cake Decorators Association Darling Downs Branch Inc. (Springtime Birthday)
- Queensland Program of Assistance to Survivors of Torture and Trauma Association Inc. (Get to Know Your Community Fun Day)
- Scout Association of Australia Qld Branch Inc. – Darling Downs Region (Operation Nighthawk overnight hike)
- Tenpin Bowling Association of Qld Inc. (Australian Tenpin Bowling Seniors National Challenge)
- Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc. (Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc. 2019 Bonsai Show)
- Toowoomba Choral Society Inc. (The Armed Man (A Mass for Peace))
- Toowoomba Hospice Association Inc. (Toowoomba Camellia Show & Garden Expo)
- Toowoomba Hot Rodders Inc. (Hi Altitude Rod Run 2019)
- Toowoomba International Multicultural Society Inc. (Toowoomba Youth Festival)
- Toowoomba Lapidary Club Inc. (Toowoomba 39th Gemfest 2019).
Sport and Recreation
- Brothers Toowoomba Rugby League Football Club Inc. (Replacement of field irrigator at Hursley Road)
- Darling Downs Aero Club Ltd. (Replace club sliding door at Toowoomba City Aerodrome)
- Fillipino Australian Community in Oakey Inc. (Install basketball backboards in St Monica’s School Sports Hall)
- Highfields and Districts Netball Association Inc. (Upgrade clubhouse meeting room at Stage 1, Highfields Sport and Recreation Park)
- Highfields and Districts Railway Cricket Club Inc. (Purchase a heavy roller and commercial mower for turf wicket preparation at Stage 2, Highfields Sport Recreation Park)
- Highfields FC Inc. (P.A. System installation and player shelters for Highfields Sport Recreation Park)
- Highfields Junior Rugby Club Inc. (Associated costs with installation of grandstand seating in front of clubhouse building at Stage 1,Highfields Sport Recreation Park)
- Kearneys Spring Sports Reserve Management Association Inc. (Shade gazebo at Kearneys Spring Sports Complex)
- Millmerran Memorial Bowls Club Inc. (Removal of asbestos from green and new ditches at Walpole Street)
- Oakey and District Tennis Association Inc. (Replace synthetic grass courts 1 & 2 and repairs to courts 3 & 4 at Kent Street)
- Toowoomba Cricket Inc. (Construction of transportable sightscreens and scoreboards for Australian Cricket Championships 2020 at various locations)
- Toowoomba Junior Rugby League Inc. (Strategic Planning)
- Toowoomba Motocross Club Ltd. (New amenities toilets, (including disability and female friendly) showers, covered shelter and multi use area at Nelson Street)
- Toowoomba Motorcycle Club Inc. (Sink a water bore on the club grounds for club use at Kherim Road Murphys Creek)
- Toowoomba Mountain Bike Club Inc. (New mountain bike trail at Jubilee Park)
- Clifton Golf Club Inc. (Path construction to improve traffic ways for golfers between greens and tees in highly eroded areas at Clifton Leyburn Road)
- Glenholme Sports and Community Hub Inc. (Undertake a feasability study for stage 1 works and associated planning costs at Hursley Road).