A total of 148,000 square metres of road surfaces will be resealed this year, after Council awarded a tender for the works at its meeting on Wednesday 10 February.
Sections of 16 local roads across the Shire will be resealed to improve safety and access for road users as part of Council’s annual Road Resealing Program
The contract for the works was awarded to Fulton Hogan Industries Pty Ltd for the total sum of $930,136.15 (excluding GST), following a tender process in 2020.
The annual program works to improve road surface conditions by spraying bitumen onto a road pavement and then rolling in a layer of uniformly sized stones to create a new surface.
Asphalt works will also be carried out on five local roads with a total area of 8000 square metres, providing a new 40mm thick surface. The asphalt surfacing works will be completed under Council’s Civil Works Contract by specialist asphalting contractors.
Council allocates funding each year as part of the Capital Works Program for targeted road resealing works. The selected roads are prioritised by road asset condition data and assessed by Council staff.
Resealing works will take place in the following locations:
- Drouin South, Campbell Road, from Main South Road to 255m along (end of seal)
- Trafalgar East, Heartsridge Road, from Millers Road to North Canal Road
- Allambee Reserve, Mirboo Yarragon Road, from chainage 3490 to chainage 3913
- Allambee Reserve, Mirboo Yarragon Road, from chainage 8940 to chainage 9101
- Narracan, Narracan Connection Rd, from Coalville Road to Schofields Road
- Trafalgar East, North Canal Road, from Richards Road to Embletons Road
- Shady Creek, Old Sale Road, from Honneckers Road to Yarragon Shady Creek Road
- Shady Creek, Old Sale Road, from Webbs Road to Beards Track
- Trafalgar, Old Sale Road, from Willow Grove Road to Davey Road
- Willow Grove, Old Tanjil Road, from Willow Grove Road to Gate/Fence
- Darnum, Railway Avenue, full length of the road
- Darnum, Streitbergs Road, from Allambee Street to the end of the road
- Trafalgar, Waterloo Road, from Goodings Road heading towards Trafalgar for 4km
- Yarragon Yarragon Shady Creek Road (Yarragon), from Sheehan Road to Sillars Road
- Yarragon, Yarragon South Road, from Yarragon Shady Creek Road to Murray Road
- Yarragon South, Yarragon Leongatha Road, from chainage 8758 to chainage 13566
Residents located along these roads whose access will be affected during the works will receive a letter from the contractor at least seven days before the works begin.
Quotes attributable to Mayor Cr Danny Goss
“Council is committed to improving our road network, and together with a record annual investment of $8 million dollars into road maintenance, the resealing program will provide a safer and more reliable drive for our community.”
Quotes attributable to Deputy Mayor Cr Michael Leaney
“The Road Resealing Program will improve the safety and lifespan of rural roads across the Shire, with a particular emphasis on Yarragon, Trafalgar, Darnum and surrounding localities this year. Our residents have told us that the quality of our roads needs to be prioritised, and we’re working hard to make sure we deliver this.”