A man has been charged after a police pursuit, allegedly with a loaded firearm in the vehicle, in the Lake Illawarra region yesterday.
About 12.20pm (Saturday 5 September 2020), a white Toyota Rav4 was involved in a police pursuit in Ropes Crossing after being detected allegedly travelling at 158kmph in a sign posted 70kmph zone on Forrester Road.
The pursuit was terminated due to safety concerns.
About 2pm the same day, the Toyota was observed on Horne Street, Port Kembla, and a second pursuit was initiated by officers attached to Lake Illawarra Police District. It was later terminated.
Police conducted a search on Horne Street and located a loaded, shortened .22 rifle, allegedly thrown from the Toyota during the earlier pursuit.
A short time later, a 21-year-old man was arrested at a fast food restaurant on Northcliffe Drive, Warrawong.
About 3pm, the Toyota was located a short distance away.
The man, from Mount Warrigal, was taken to Lake Illawarra Police Station where he was charged with 12 offences including:
- Drive motor vehicle while licence suspended (x3)
- Police pursuit – not stop – drive recklessly
- Drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous
- Possess loaded firearm public place
- Possess shortened firearm (not pistol) without authority
- Possess ammunition without holding licence/permit/authority
- Possess or use a prohibited weapon without permit
- Acquire etc firearm – subject to prohibition order
- Acquire etc ammunition subject to prohibition order
- Use prohibited weapon contrary to prohibition order
He was refused bail and appeared at Wollongong Local Court today (Sunday 6 September 2020), where he was formally refused bail to reappear at the same court tomorrow (Monday 7 September 2020).