The City of Ballarat has appointed recruitment company McArthur to assist in appointing a new Chief Executive Officer.
Ten agencies were contacted in late August to provide an expression of interest and quote, including three local agencies, agencies with a presence in the Australian Local Government Job Directory and other search agencies specialising in executive recruitment.
Nine proposals were received, with one local agency declining to submit a proposal.
In accordance with the City of Ballarat’s Procurement Policy, at least three written quotes, including at least one local supplier, were obtained.
The candidate brief for the new CEO includes:
· Their term be for up to five years
· The candidate has preferably been in a previous CEO role or provided similar services, and has a detailed understanding of the Local Government Act 1989 and the Local Government Act 2020
In addition, during their term the successful candidate must:
· Ensure good governance within the organisation and at Council and Committee meetings
· Implement the action plan from an Organisational Governance and Culture Assessment currently being undertaken
· Lead, embed and model an organisational culture of integrity, transparency, innovation and service
· Work with Council to develop and agree on Council Plan priorities
· Demonstrate accountability in Council Plan implementation through public reporting on actions, progress and achievements
· Develop a Council and organisational team-based environment
The costs associated with appointing a Chief Executive Officer will be funded through existing budget.
The cost of fees for the companies invited to tender for the recruitment process ranged from $18,500 to $43,000.