The event, owned and operated by IMG and sponsored by the NSW Government through its tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW, positions Sydney as the fashion capital of Australia and provides established and emerging labels the chance to showcase Resort Collections against the backdrop of the harbour city.
Destination NSW Chief Executive Officer Sandra Chipchase said the 2019 MBFWA schedule will put Sydney firmly in the spotlight among industry, media and the public.
“As the Strategic Sponsor of MBFWA, the NSW Government via Destination NSW is committed to position Sydney as the fashion capital of Australia and the 2019 schedule certainly reflects that, while also creating opportunities for our local industry,” Ms. Chipchase said.
“It’s fantastic to see NSW-born, internationally renowned brands Alice McCall and Bec & Bridge return to the schedule among many outstanding labels. The line-up represents the best in the business while also providing a global platform for emerging talent, all of which will unfold with iconic Sydney as the backdrop.
“The fashion industry in NSW employs around 74,000 people and drives annual retail sales of
$9.35 billion for the state’s economy. Further, NSW fashion is exported to countries including the United States, United Kingdom and UAE, proving that the industry generates income and exposure for the state. MBFWA and Mercedes-Benz Fashion Weekend Edition are invaluable platforms to support industry growth.
“A shining example is Bec & Bridge, the brainchild of two University of Technology Sydney graduates that has now expanded into the US market via a network of more than 500 global stockists including American department stores Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus.
“Destination NSW is committed to working with MBFWA and MBFWE over the next three years to maximise opportunities for local designers through runways, events and The Suites showrooms on site at Carriageworks.”
MBFWA will debut Resort 2020 Collections from the region’s most prominent fashion designers, alongside a curated program of emerging talent and international labels. To date MBFWA 2019 designers include: ALBUS LUMEN, ALICE MCCALL, ANNA QUAN, AJE, AQUA BLU, BASSIKE, BEC & BRIDGE, BENJAMIN GARG, BONDI BORN, CHLOE MOTTAU, DOUBLE RAINBOUU, EX INFINITAS, HANSEN AND GRETEL, JONATHAN SIMKHAI, JUSTIN CASSIN, LEE MATHEWS, LEO & LIN, MADISON HISLOP, MARIAM SEDDIQ, MATTEAU, MNDATORY, PARED EYEWEAR, P.E NATION, TAFE NSW FASHION DESIGN STUDIO, TEN PIECES, THURLEY, TIGERLILY and WE ARE KINDRED.
MBFWA 2019 highlights include:
- AJE will open MBFWA 2019 with the Mercedes-Benz Presents show on Sunday 12 May
- BEC & BRIDGE will open the first day of shows on Monday 13 May
- Numerous Australian designers will return to the MBFWA schedule, including ALBUS LUMEN, ALICE MCCALL, ANNA QUAN, BEC & BRIDGE, DOUBLE RAINBOUU, HANSEN AND GRETEL, JUSTIN CASSIN, LEE MATHEWS, LEO & LIN, MARIAM SEDDIQ, TAFE NSW FASHION DESIGN STUDIO, THURLEY and WE ARE KINDRED
- TAFE NSW FASHION DESIGN SCHOOL will celebrate 21 years showing at MBFWA
- LEE MATHEWS will celebrate 20 years in business with her MBFWA 2019 show
- TIGERLILY returns to MBFWA after 17 years, having last showed in 2002; a leader in conscious, sustainable fashion, the brand will showcase an elevated Resort collection of women’s apparel, swim, and accessories in a return to its DNA
- ALICE MCCALL will celebrate 15 years in business with her MBFWA 2019 show
- JUSTIN CASSIN (menswear) celebrates his third consecutive MBFWA show, returning to the schedule after officially launching in China, Singapore and South Korea
- Designers debuting on the MBFWA schedule this year include BONDI BORN, EX INFINITAS, JONATHAN SIMKHAI, MATTEAU and PARED EYEWEAR
- Celebrated American designer JONATHAN SIMKHAI will debut his Resort collection at MBFWA for the first time
- EX INFINITAS (menswear) will debut at MBFWA and has confirmed Fabien Montique, Image Director for Off-White and creative consultant to Kanye West, to creative direct
- St.George NEXTGEN will once again provide emerging designers an opportunity to show in front of an international audience; this season’s participating designers are BENJAMIN GARG, CHLOE MOTTAU, MADISON HISLOP and Brian Huynh for MNDATORY
Executive Director of IMG Fashion Asia-Pacific Natalie Xenita said, “We are thrilled to welcome a diverse and talented group of seasoned and emerging designers to the fourth season of MBFWA Resort. The continued support from the domestic and international fashion community for these designers, their collections and Sydney as a Resort destination makes this event one of the fashion world’s finest.”