Christmas has come early for Sippy Downs, with the $12.2 million fourth and final stage of the Sippy Downs Drive project this week completed a week ahead of schedule.
The upgrade delivers a safer experience for all road users, improves the traffic flow and makes navigating this essential transport corridor easier, especially during peak school drop-offs and pick-ups.
Division 6 Councillor Christian Dickson thanked the community, Siena Catholic College and local businesses for their patience and cooperation during the 15 months of roadworks.
“The final stage of this key council project forms part of the overall eight-year upgrade plan and I am incredibly excited it has been delivered earlier than expected to our community,” Cr Dickson said.
“I’d like to thank locals for their understanding and support while we delivered this vital infrastructure.
“We’ve had some great feedback about the improved travel times along Sippy Downs Drive and University Way and the local schools, university and businesses will also see benefits.”
Stage four improvements included:
- the duplication of traffic lanes in both directions along Sippy Downs Drive to enable four lanes of traffic (two each way)
- changing the existing roundabout at University Way/Sippy Downs Drive to become a four-way signalised intersection
- creating a new four-way signalised intersection at Sippy Downs Drive Service Road/Sippy Downs Drive/Alexander Street
- upgrading the Sippy Downs Service Road to work with the new signalised intersection including the re-alignment of the centre and western exits and adjusting the eastern entry/exit to be a one-way entry and cul-de-sac
- ·new street lighting
- increasing the number and density of trees in the landscaped buffer between the Sippy Downs Service Road and Sippy Downs Drive (staged over multiple years).
Council has partnered with University of the Sunshine Coast students and the local community to create a stunning entry statement set to be unveiled in early 2020.
The entry statement will be located at the corner of Sippy Downs Drive and University Way and will define the gateway to Sippy Downs and the town centre precinct.
Snapshot of Sippy Downs Drive Upgrade stages:
- Stage one: September 2011 to December 2013 – $7.2 million
- Stage two: September 2011 to December 2013 – $500,000
- Stage three: April 2014 to February 2015 – $3.2 million
Stages one ($7.2 million), two ($500,000) and three ($3.2 million) works included moving the power underground, Sippy Downs Drive changing from a single-lane carriageway to dual-lane carriageway, landscaping, installing traffic signals at major intersections, constructing new pedestrian footpaths and street lighting, as well as delivering an upgraded link from Claymore Road through to Stringybark Road and Siena Catholic College.