NSW police astounded at high number of drunk and speeding drivers

Drivers who continue to risk lives on the roads will face tough consequences, police say, as they urge motorists to keep vigilant when returning home following long-weekend celebrations, NSW Police say.

Seven people have lost their lives on NSW roads following day three of Operation Go Slow – the Anzac Day long weekend traffic operation.

This is five more deaths on the state’s road compared to the same time last year.

A 47-year-old man died in Gosford early yesterday morning yesterday, after driving into a concrete barrier at the intersection of York Street and Mason Parade.

Initial inquiries have led police to believe the man, who was the only occupant of the vehicle, may have been under the influence of drugs and alcohol at the time of the crash.

A second man, aged 78, died following a single-vehicle crash about 11.30am yesterday on Cowra Road, about 10km south of Canowindra.

Progressive results following day three include 3,369 people charged for speeding offences, which is 957 more than at the same time last year; and 175 charged for drink driving offences.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Command’s Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, has urged drivers to stay vigilant and adhere to the road rules, as they head back home today.

“Statistics show that motorists are continuing to break the law on our roads, particularly by speeding and drink driving,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

“It’s astounding to see that these motorists are getting behind the wheel and blatantly risking their lives and the lives of others, despite the rising road toll in NSW.

“We will see more traffic on the roads as the long weekend comes to an end and motorists head back to their homes.

“Don’t drink and drive, don’t speed, take regular breaks, wear your seatbelt, and be aware of your surroundings when driving back home this long weekend.

“Driving is a privilege and should be treated that way,” he said.

Other incidents reported on our roads in the last 24 hours include;


About 2.15am this morning today, police were conducting stationary speed enforcement on the Hume Highway, when they detected a vehicle allegedly speeding at 200km/h in a 100km/h marked zone. Police attempted to stop the driver, when he failed to stop and a pursuit ensued, where the vehicle reached alleged speeds of up to 240km/h. The 17-year-old male P2 driver entered the Campbelltown Road exit when he stopped and was arrested. His three occupants – all teenage girls under 16 years – were uninjured. The teenager was charged with exceed speed limit more than 45km/h, drive recklessly, police pursuit, Learner not accompanied by driver, and Learner driver not display “L” plates. The boy’s driver’s permit was suspended and he will appear at Campbelltown Local Court on 23 May 2016.


Just after 9.15pm yesterday, a 60-year-old male driver was stopped after police noticed he was driving very slowly and on the incorrect side of the road on Arina Street, Bargo. The man was stopped and returned a positive roadside breath test. He was arrested and taken to Picton Police Station, where he returned an alleged breath analysis reading of 0.183. He was charged with high-range PCA and granted conditional bail, to appear at Picton Local Court on 24 May 2016.


About 2am today, a 23-year-old woman was stopped by police after she was allegedly seen driving on the wrong side of the road and disobeying a stop sign on Guildford Road. The Learner driver failed a roadside breath test and was arrested and taken to Granville Police Station, where he returned an alleged positive breath test analysis of 0.151. The woman’s driver’s licence was cancelled and she was charged with high-range PCA, drive while licence cancelled, and not stop at/before stop line. She was granted conditional bail, to appear at Parramatta Local Court on 21 June 2016.


About 11.30pm yesterday, Traffic and Highway Patrol officers detected a motorcycle allegedly speeding at 120km/h in a sign-posed 50km/h zone on Buffalo Road. Police stopped the 33-year-old male driver and his pillion passenger; and issued him a Traffic Infringement Notice for exceed speed limit by more than 45km/h, which carries a $2,306 fine and 12 demerit points during a double-demerit period. The man’s licence was confiscated and suspended for six months.


Just before 8.20pm yesterday, police stopped a 37-year-old Regents Park man along Military Road, after they detected defective tail lights on his vehicle. The man returned a positive roadside breath test and was arrested and taken to Holroyd Police Station. He allegedly returned a breath test analysis reading of 0.187 and was issued a Field Court Attendance Notice for high-range PCA, to appear at Fairfield Local Court on 18 May 2015. The man’s licence was also suspended.


Just before 5.30pm yesterday, Traffic and Highway Patrol officers stopped a Holden Commodore travelling along Capper Street for a random breath test. The 29-year-old Provisional 1 driver returned a positive reading. He was arrested, and taken to Tumut Police Station, where he returned an alleged breath test analysis reading of 0.298. It will be alleged at the police station, the man urinated in a cell. His licence was suspended and he was charged with high-range PCA and malicious damage, to appear at Tumut Local Court on 14 June 2016.

Key Statistics (Day three only);

Speed infringements: 1176

Breath tests: 59313

PCA charges: 51

Major crashes: 74

Fatalies: 2

Operation Go Slow commenced at 12.01am on Friday (22 April 2016) and concludes at 11.59pm today. Double demerits will be in force during this period for all speeding, seatbelt, helmet and mobile phone offences.