NSW Waste Policy Risks Exposed in State Inquiry

NSW Nationals

The Chair of the Parliamentary inquiry into proposed Energy-from-Waste (EfW) facilities, NSW Nationals MLC Nichole Overall, says the first public hearing revealed unresolved policy contradictions and major gaps on waste costs, recycling outcomes, and environmental risks across NSW.

"What emerged were significant concerns about the regional locations the government has approved to host EfW facilities and also serious shortcomings in the NSW Government's waste management strategy, particularly when it comes to Sydney's waste," Mrs Overall said.

The MP also confirmed that following the initial Public Hearing on December 15, further hearings will be conducted over two days at Parkes on April 13 and 14, an additional Sydney hearing scheduled for May 4, and Goulburn/Tarago on May 14 and 15.

A range of witnesses appeared at the first hearing in the NSW Parliament, including project proponents, with questioning focused on the absence of clear, consistent information underpinning key decisions.

"The Committee sought clarity in the decision-making framework for site selection, the costs and benefits of EfW from a whole-of-state perspective, and how system-wide impacts are being assessed," Mrs Overall said.

"A consistent tension was that the current policy confines large-scale EfW to regional precincts without clear justification, while industry experts and the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) stated that such facilities can operate safely anywhere if regulations are met."

"At the same time, Local Government representatives emphasised waste is generally best managed closer to where it's generated, and raised concerns about the inequity of the regions bearing the long-term burden of managing Sydney's waste."

Mrs Overall also pointed to evidence about the state waste levy, which raises approximately $1 billion annually but is absorbed into the government's general budget rather than directly reinvested into waste management.

"With NSW not on track to meet the government's own waste targets, concerns emerged that committing to a single, long-term solution risks limiting future options and that solutions need to be broad-based," she said.

Mrs Overall also questioned why the government's earlier public position – that NSW standards would be more stringent than international benchmarks – had been softened, without a clear explanation or supporting evidence.

She said community acceptance remains a central, unresolved issue – a primary reason the inquiry was established.

"Social licence is critical. The Regional Australia Institute (RAI) made clear in its 2024 report that community involvement and alignment with local values and expectations are essential for the success and sustainability of such major, long-term infrastructure."

Mrs Overall also noted that she as Chair and other Committee members had issued numerous supplementary questions for further clarification.

"Waste isn't necessarily a clickbait headline, but it's critically important and it affects us all," she said.

"The purpose of this inquiry is to ensure decisions of this scale – with consequences for communities, councils, industry and future generations – are based on clear evidence, transparent reasoning and a genuinely whole-of-system approach."

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) might be of the point-in-time nature, and edited for clarity, style and length. Mirage.News does not take institutional positions or sides, and all views, positions, and conclusions expressed herein are solely those of the author(s).View in full here.