On R U OK? Day, the MCA is highlighting to mining workers the free MineWell mobile app.
Developed by miners, for miners, the app’s purpose is to provide wellbeing and mental health prevention, intervention and education tools for Australian mining workers and their families.
Since MineWell was launched in June 2021, hundreds of mining workers have been using the app and the feedback we have received strongly indicates it is an important tool along with other company initiatives to help support the mental health and resilience of our workforce.
The last 18 months have been difficult with the pandemic impacting people’s lives. I encourage mining workers to often reach out to each other and ask if they’re OK. Getting help isn’t a sign of weakness – it is a sign of strength.
The Australian mining industry’s core value and commitment is the safety, health and psychological wellbeing of its workforce, where everyone who goes to work returns home safe and healthy.
Mental health is central to health and safety, building on the Australian mining sector’s world leadership in workplace health and safety.
The MCA and its partners have worked over many years to build industry understanding and capacity including through the Blueprint for Mental Health and Wellbeing industry guide.
Australia’s mining industry is delivering a range of programs that promote mental health and wellbeing, prevent problems, provide an effective and early response as part of an integrated approach within overall health and safety policy and practice.
The MineWell app includes features such as:
- Personalised scheduling for shift workers to promote better sleep and alertness whilst on shift
- Advice and exercises for improving sleep quality, staying active and positive and staying well during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Tools to take control through breathing, taking a reality check, managing emotions and releasing tension
- A social connection tool to schedule anniversaries, birthdays, catch-ups with family and friends and other important events
- A crisis response tool for direct calls to MATES in Mining, Lifeline, Beyondblue and other help services
- A Budget Well feature to set a target budget, savings goals and help track progress to reduce stress and anxiety relating to financial management.
All personal information provided by app users remains private, is only stored on their device and cannot be accessed, viewed or gathered by others.
MineWell has been developed based on feedback from focus groups and user testing by Australian miners and is available free to all mine workers and their families through the Apple App Store (for iPhones) and Google Play (for Android phones).