Opening Ashes Test for Gabba

Minister for Tourism Industry Development and Innovation and Minister for Sport The Honourable Stirling Hinchliffe

The Gabba is locked in to host the epic First Test of the Ashes Series this December, as part of a blockbuster international summer announced by Cricket Australia today.

Australia’s men’s team will begin its spirited Ashes Series defence at The Gabba from December 8-12.

Sport Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said securing the opener for The Ashes was a vote of confidence in The Gabba.

“We know The Gabba is where Australia produces its best performance when it opens a series here, and with a reputation to uphold it makes for a great spectator experience,” Mr Hinchliffe said.

“To have the opening Test of the Ashes Series here at The Gabba is a bonus for Queensland and international cricket fans.

“It’s a significant vote of confidence in The Gabba and our plans for its future.

“There are few experiences as quintessentially Queensland as a summer’s day at The Gabba watching cricket, and there is no more iconic a cricketing event than The Ashes.

“For atmosphere, the Gabba is second to none.

“The last Ashes Test at The Gabba attracted more than 114,000 cricket fans who also filled hotels and restaurants and visited local tourism experiences.

“The Ashes supports jobs with more than 800 staff employed each day of the event – plus suppliers – which is expected to contribute up to $15 million to Queensland’s economic recovery plan.”

Queensland Cricket CEO Terry Svenson said the chance to make an emphatic start to an Ashes summer in Brisbane was a significant advantage to the Australian team.

“Australia’s overall record at the venue is the envy of many, and while India was triumphant earlier this year in the thrilling decider to the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, the team inevitably produces its best when it opens a series at The Gabba,” he said.

“We’re confident that the experience gained during the past 12 months will have cricket well-placed to thrive in Queensland this summer and we will continue to work closely with the Queensland Government and Cricket Australia to deliver great results for the players and the fans,” he said.

The Gabba General Manager Mark Zundans said it promised to be an exciting summer for fans.

“It will be fantastic to have one of the world’s greatest sporting rivalries gracing our soil once more, and of course we’re hoping Australia will start the Ashes series with the win as they did in 2017,” Mr Zundans said.

“While the pandemic continues to present challenges, we are pleased that our ability to deliver events safely has given the community confidence for events to continue, and we hope we’ll be in a position for a sell-out Summer,” he said.

Leveraging off the 2020 improvements, The Gabba continues to look for ways to deliver better experiences for our fans, and the Ashes will be a wonderful opportunity for us to again deliver on the world stage.”

Queensland’s world-class summer of cricket will continue with the Men’s T20I series against Sri Lanka on 13 February.

Metricon Stadium has also secured a T20I match against Sri Lanka on 15 February.

Tickets for the First Test of the Ashes are available from mid-June. Event and ticketing information available at www.thegabba.com.au.

Queensland’s international cricket season

  • Men’s Vodafone Ashes Series, December 8 – December 12: The Gabba
  • Dettol Men’s T20I Series v Sri Lanka, February 13: The Gabba (Night)
  • Dettol Men’s T20I Series v Sri Lanka, February 15: Metricon Stadium (Night)

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.