CORVALLIS, Ore. – The Music à la Carte concert series will host a series of Facebook Live events starting this Friday, keeping alive the decades-long tradition while following Oregon State University’s commitment to help reduce the risk and spread of COVID-19.
The “brown bag” concert series has been presenting performances by OSU, regional, national and international musicians on Fridays in the Memorial Union during fall, spring and winter terms since 1969.
While the in-person performances have been canceled, a new series of 30-minute Facebook Live events will be held on Fridays at noon throughout the term.
The schedule so far:
- April 3: Jan Michael Looking Wolf Reibach, Native American Flute. Reibach, a popular OSU music instructor, is a One World Music Radio Lifetime Achievement Award Winner and has received numerous awards as a Native flute player.
- April 10: Alicia Jo Straka, electric accordion, vocals. Straka, (formerly Alicia Baker) is a 2013 graduate of OSU who went on to complete her master’s degree at the University of Colorado. She works for instrument manufacturer Roland Corporation and continues to compose and perform.
- April 17: Halie Loren, jazz/pop singer-songwriter. Based in Eugene, Loren’s accolades include Editor’s Pick on CD Baby, Independent Music Award for best jazz song of the year and Top 10 Hot New Releases at Amazon.com in the U.S. and Canada.
- April 24: William Seiji Marsh, guitar and vocals. Marsh, formerly of Eugene, now based in Los Angeles, is currently the guitarist for Pink Martini. He has toured and recorded with Cherry Poppin’ Daddies, Lost Lander, Halie Loren and more.
- May 1: Gideon Freudmann, cello. Freudmann is a cross-genre cellist whose live performances use technology to loop and layer tracks in real time. He has played with Richard Thompson, Patty Larkin and They Might Be Giants, and released solo albums in a variety of genres.
Additional performances will be announced as they are scheduled.
The Music à la Carte Facebook page can be found at: https://beav.es/4Ns. Facebook Live events are free to view.