Today is a momentous day for Australia’s fight against COVID-19, with the rollout of Phase 1B of the Australian Government’s vaccination plan.
The COVID-19 vaccine rollout out is one of the largest logistical exercises ever undertaken in this country and we are particularly encouraged by the enthusiastic response from Australians in getting vaccinated.
Australia’s vaccination rollout will help reduce the health, social and economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. It will save lives and livelihoods.
Appointment availability will increase as the number of clinics grow from 1,000 to more than 4,000 over the next four weeks, so we thank you for your patience.
Priority groups in Phase 1B include:
- elderly adults aged 80 years and over
- elderly adults aged 70 years and over
- health care workers not vaccinated in Phase 1A
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adults over 55
- adults with a specified medical condition
- adults with a severe disability who have a specified underlying medical condition
- critical and high risk workers including defence, police, fire, emergency services and meat processing.
Australia has a world class manufacturing facility right here at home, putting us in a very strong position to supply vaccines when and where they are needed. Our contract with CSL for 50 million doses means we do not need to rely on overseas supply to ensure all Australians who want a vaccine, can be vaccinated.
Australia has very successfully suppressed this highly infectious disease and it is really important that all Australians come forward and get the vaccine when it is their turn to do so.
We thank the more than 4,000 GP clinics and health services-doctors, nurses, practice managers and staff-for participating in the vaccination rollout.