Picnic area at Nowra Sailing Club Site Officially Opened

Nowra Sailing Club site opening.jpg

Shoalhaven City Council today officially opened the revamped Nowra Sailing Club site, with new picnic seating, interpretative signage and flood markers.

The Council funded project included the demolition of the former Nowra Sailing Club building, removal of the sub structure and construction of the new seating, interpretive signage and flood markers.

Shoalhaven City Council Mayor Amanda Findley is delighted to see the important historical site available for public use.

“The flood markers wrapped around the central shade sail pole are placed at approximately the height that floods have reached. The height is as close to real flood level and based on recorded data, however some variation in records has occurred in previous decades,” said Clr Findley.

The Nowra Sailing Club historic building survived two World Wars and many floods and was utilised by Nowra Sailing Club from 1964 until it was destroyed by fire. The pylons that supported the original building for more than 100 years remain as they are heritage listed.

Located alongside Nowra Public Wharf the building was originally built for use by the Illawarra Steamship Navigation Company in the 1880’s. It was used as a storehouse for goods that were being transported between Nowra and Sydney, including farm produce and food. In the 1940’s the Nowra Fishing Coop took over the premises until the 1960’s.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.