Plea for people to register for temporary emergency accommodation

Mullum flooding 13 Feb .jpg

Byron Shire residents who have lost their homes because of the floods should immediately register as needing temporary emergency accommodation with Service NSW.

Many people have found temporary accommodation through friends, family and the kindness of community organisations but we know many of these short-term arrangements will end soon.

If you know you will need accommodation in the medium to long term, Service NSW needs your details to understand the scale of need and so that accommodation can be found or ordered.

Importantly, the number of people who register for temporary emergency accommodation will give the NSW Government a clear indication of the need in the community which could have an impact on future funding and temporary housing such as mobile homes and accommodation pods similar to those used after the bushfires several years ago.

Byron Shire Mayor, Michael Lyon, said around 800 people are estimated to be in short-term temporary accommodation.

“I know that in the days after the flood people were scrambling to find accommodation because there was no help available, and community and local providers stepped in.

“But now I’m urging people to register through Service NSW for peace of mind when it comes to secure housing in the short to medium term,” Mayor Lyon said.

“Accurate numbers will help us lobby for our community to get the housing it needs,” he said.

Benefits of registering for temporary emergency accommodation through Service NSW include:

  • Access to welfare payments
  • Access to grant funding

People can register for temporary emergency accommodation through the Service NSW website.

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.