Poisonous mushrooms growing in Melbourne

Poisonous mushrooms are currently growing around Victoria due to recent heavy rains.

A number of serious mushroom poisonings have occurred across Victoria in the last few weeks, some resulting in death.

Please remember, eating just one death cap mushroom can kill an adult. Cooking, peeling or drying these mushrooms does not remove the poison.

Please ensure to only consume mushrooms purchased from a supermarket or greengrocer.

If you suspect that you or a family member have eaten a poisonous mushroom:

  1. Seek medical attention immediately, do not wait for symptoms to occur
  2. Contact the Victorian Poisons Information Centre immediately on 13 11 26, which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, Australia wide.
  3. Keep and photograph a sample of the mushroom that was consumed, as the Victorian Poisons Information Centre may be able to obtain expert identification of the mushroom in some cases.
/Public Release. View in full here.