A man has been charged after police seized a loaded firearm, ammunition and drugs following a vehicle stop in the Illawarra yesterday.
About 9am yesterday (Thursday 21 January 2021), officers from Lake Illawarra Police District were conducting routine patrols on the Princes Highway, Unanderra, when they attempted to stop a grey Nissan X-Trail.
Police approached the driver – a 32-year-old man – however allege the Nissan has struck the police vehicle, causing minor damage, and the driver fled the scene. Officers commenced a foot pursuit and apprehended the man a short time later.
No one was injured.
Police searched the man and found 10.25 grams of methylamphetamine and $700 in his possession.
Following a search of the vehicle, police seized a loaded 12-gauge single-barrel shotgun with the serial number removed, ammunition and gloves.
Following further inquiries, the man was found to have his provisional licence disqualified. Police spoke with the registered owner of the vehicle who also reported the vehicle as stolen.
The man was arrested and taken to Lake Illawarra Police Station where he was charged with:
- Possess shortened firearm (not pistol) without authority
- Possess ammunition without holding licence/permit/authority
- Not keep firearm safely – prohibited firearm
- Use, supply, acquire or possess defaced firearm
- Possess loaded firearm public place
- Drive motor vehicle during disqualification period second offence
- Deal with property proceeds of crime
- Resist officer in execution of duty
- Enter enclosed land not prescribed premises without lawful excuse
- Supply prohibited drug (indictable quantity)
- Possess prohibited drug
- Negligent driving
- Drive conveyance taken without consent of owner
He was refused bail to appear at Wollongong Local Court today (Friday 22 January 2021).