A man 20-year-old man has been charged with manslaughter following the death of a 24-year-old passenger in a car crash that occurred in Casino earlier this year.
About 2.45am on Tuesday 1 January 2019, a vehicle was travelling east on Sextonville Road, near the intersection of Lakeside Drive, when it has left the road and hit an electrical supply box.
The vehicle rolled, trapping two of its three occupants. A female passenger, aged 20, managed to free herself from the wreck however, the 20-year-old driver and his 24-year-old front seat passenger were trapped in the vehicle which caught alight.
Police were able to pull the driver from the vehicle, however due to the flames, officers were unable to reach the passenger who died in the vehicle.
Investigations commenced by officers from the Crash Investigation Unit which today (Thursday 16 May 2019), culminated in the charging of the alleged driver.
He was arrested at his Casino home and taken to Casino Police Station where he was charged with the following offences:
- Aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death – PCA
- Dangerous driving occasioning death – drive under the influence
- Aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death – speed over 45kmh
- Cause bodily harm by misconduct, in charge of motor vehicle
- Negligent driving occasioning death
- Negligent drive
- High range PCA
- Exceed speed over 45kph, and
- Fail to provide particulars to police (driver version).
His licence has been suspended and bail has been refused. He is due to appear in Lismore Local Court tomorrow (Friday 17 May 2019).