Police charge four after multiple pursuits across Sydney; four police cars damaged

Four teens have been charged after four police vehicles were damaged in police pursuits throughout Sydney overnight.

About 11.30pm yesterday (Thursday 30 April 2020), a BMW – stolen from a Russell Lea home on Sunday (26 April 2020) – was involved in a short pursuit with officers from Leichhardt Police Area Command in the Glebe area. It was terminated due to safety concerns and was last seen heading towards Ultimo.

Shortly after, a second pursuit was initiated when the BMW failed to stop for Botany Bay Highway Patrol after it was observed travelling at high speed on Anzac Parade at Kensington.

The BMW was pursued through Randwick, Maroubra and Malabar and was last seen driving onto Maroubra Road, before the pursuit was terminated.

Around 11.40pm, Eastern Beaches Police Area Command observed the BMW driving dangerously, allegedly changing lanes and travelling through red lights, before a third pursuit was initiated on Anzac Parade and Fitzgerald Avenue. It was later terminated at Maroubra Road.

Around 11.45pm, PolAir located the BMW travelling along South Dowling Street, Moore Park, where it merged onto the Eastern Distributor and proceeded towards the Princess Highway. The car was monitored travelling through Sydney’s south, south-west and western suburbs including Helensburgh, Holsworthy, Smithfield, Eastern Creek, Liverpool, and Blacktown.

About 1.40am today (Friday 1 May 2020), the BMW entered a service station at the intersection of Silverwater Road and Derby Street, Silverwater, to refuel.

Police attended, and as officers approached the BMW, the driver reversed at speed, allegedly colliding with two police vehicles before driving off on Silverwater Road.

About 2.15am, the BMW was sighted travelling west along the M4 where it conducted a U-turn near the Villiers Road on ramp and allegedly accelerated towards a police vehicle, causing it to swerve and hit a guard rail.

Just before 2.50am, the BMW travelled to La Perouse, where two teenage girls – aged 16 and 18 – got out of the vehicle and were later arrested and taken to Maroubra Police Station.

The BMW drove to Chifley and collided with a police vehicle on Lasseter Avenue. Still being monitored by PolAir, the vehicle travelled back to the western suburbs, travelling on the Great Western Highway through Blacktown and Willmot

The BMW was stopped at a dead end on Carteret Avenue in Willmot, with the driver and passenger fleeing into Willmot Reserve.

With the assistance of the Dog Unit, the men were tracked and arrested in the front yard of a home on Roebuck Crescent and taken to Mt Druitt Police Station.

The driver, a 19-year-old Willmot man, was charged with police pursuit – not stop – drive dangerously, drive motor vehicle during disqualification period, drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous, use etc. offensive weapon to prevent lawful detention etc., dishonestly obtain property by deception, and drive conveyance taken without consent of owner.

The passenger, a 19-year-old Forest Lodge man, was charged with be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner.

Both men were refused bail to appear in Penrith Local Court today (Friday 1 May 2020).

The younger girl, from Woonona, was charged with dishonestly obtain property by deception, be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner, and assault officer in execution of duty.

She was refused bail to appear at a children’s court today.

The older girl, from Wollongong, was charged with be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner.

She was refused bail to appear at Parramatta Local Court tomorrow (Saturday 2 May 2020).

No police officers were injured.

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.