A man will face court today charged following a police pursuit in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs yesterday.
About 8.30pm yesterday (Friday 23 July 2021), officers from City East Highway Patrol attempted to stop a stolen black BMW M3 sedan travelling east along Syd Enfield Drive, Bondi Junction. When the vehicle failed to stop a pursuit was initiated.
The pursuit reached speeds of 180km/h where it was terminated due to safety concerns.
PolAir monitored the vehicle which was seen to drive into a residential carpark complex in Todman Avenue, Kensington, before the man abandoned it and jumped over a fence into the courtyard of another unit complex.
Officers from surrounding commands converged on the area.
It will be alleged that the man forced entry into a nearby unit assaulting a male and female occupant to avoid police.
The man is also alleged to have entered a garage and smashed a window in order to escape pursuing police.
The man was arrested a short distance away by officers.
He was later taken to Surry Hills Police Station.
The man was found to be in possession of over $4000 cash which police will allege was either stolen or unlawfully obtained. Also located in his possession were house breaking implements.
A search of the area where he was arrested located a quantity of illicit drugs.
It was established that the BMW had been stolen during an aggravated break and enter at Russell Lea earlier this month and replaced with number plates not belonging to the vehicle.
The man has also never held a driver’s licence.
He has been charged by officers from Redfern Region Enforcement Squad with 12 offences including:
- Drive conveyance taken without consent of owner
- Police pursuit – not stop – drive dangerously
- Use class A vehicle with unauthorised number plate affixed
- Never licensed person drive vehicle on road
- Enter enclosed land not prescribed premises without lawful excuse
- Common assault
- Destroy or damage property
- Possess housebreaking implements
- Commit s114 offence, having previous conviction
- Goods in personal custody suspected of being stolen or unlawfully obtained
- 2 x Possess prohibited drug
The 31-year-old man has been bail refused to appear later today (Saturday 24 July 2021) at Parramatta Local Court.
Investigations are ongoing.