A man will face court today charged following an investigation into the theft and illegal possession of firearms and ammunition in the state’s west last year.
Officers from Central North Police District, assisted by the Rural Crime Prevention Team, established Strike Force Akoonah to investigate the theft and illegal possession of firearms.
During this investigation police seized four firearms, firearm parts and a large amount of ammunition which will be forensically examined.
Following further inquiries, investigators arrested a 34-year-old man at a property in Cobar about 1.55pm yesterday (Wednesday 22 January 2020).
He was taken to Cobar Police Station and charged with aggravated possession of firearms, not keep firearms safely, two counts of possession of ammunition without licence and two counts of breaching firearms prohibition order.
The man was refused bail to appear at Bourke Local Court today (Thursday 23 January 2020).
Central North Police District Commander, Superintendent Andrew Hurst said this arrest is the result of a lengthy investigation by detectives and the Rural Crime Prevention Team, assisted by general duties officers, the Target Action Group (TAG) and the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command.
“This investigation has removed illicit firearms from the community and maintains a commitment by the Central North Police District to focus on rural crime issues, target rural crime offenders and disrupt criminal activities,” Supt Hurst said.
Members of the community that have information about rural crime are encouraged to contact their local police station or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.