Detectives have charged a man following an investigation into nine alleged heists at stores in the Hills District.
The State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad established Strike Force Kokanee to investigate a series of break-ins at jewellers and pharmacies in Baulkham Hills, North Rocks, and Winston Hills.
In each of the incidents, it’s alleged a man broke in to the premises through the roof of shopping centres before stealing property including cash, jewellery valued at $750,000, and prescription medication.
The incidents include:
- a pharmacy in a shopping centre on Olive Street, Baulkham Hills, about 3am on Monday 20 May 2019 and about 12.15am on Christmas Day (Wednesday 25 December 2019)
- a jeweller in a shopping centre on Olive Street, Baulkham Hills, about 1.30am on Sunday 2 June 2019 and about 2.30am on Friday 5 July 2019
- a jeweller and clothing store in a shopping centre on North Rocks Road, North Rocks, about 2.30am on Sunday 4 August 2019
- a jeweller in a shopping centre on Century Circuit, Baulkham Hills, about 4.15am on Thursday 7 November 2019
- a barber in a shopping mall on Caroline Chisholm Drive, Winston Hills, about 2.30am on Saturday 23 November 2019, and
- a jeweller in a shopping mall on Caroline Chisholm Drive, Winston Hills, about 2.40am on Thursday 12 December 2019.
In a 10th incident, the man attempted to break-in to a jeweller in a shopping centre on North Rocks Road, North Rocks, about 3am on Monday (6 January 2020).
Following extensive inquiries, strike force investigators, assisted by North West Metropolitan Region Enforcement Squad executed a search warrant at a unit in Baulkham Hills about 6.30am today (Wednesday 8 January 2020).
During the search, detectives seized jewellery, including earrings, watches, necklaces, bracelets, which are believed to be stolen.
A 43-year-old man was arrested at the unit and taken to Castle Hill Police Station, where he was charged with 10 offences including five counts of break and enter house steal (value more than $60,000), four counts of break and enter house steal (value less than $60,000) and break and enter intend to commit serious indictable offence.
He was refused bail to appear at Parramatta Local Court later today.
Investigations are continuing.
Police are urging anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Kokanee detectives to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/
Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our social media pages.