Criminal Groups Squad detectives have charged two men as part of ongoing investigations into the shooting murder of a man at Condell Park last year.
About 7.30am on Monday 19 October 2020, emergency services were called to Simmat Avenue, Condell Park, following reports of a shooting.
A man was located nearby with multiple gunshot wounds. Despite the efforts of emergency services, he died at the scene.
The man was later formally identified as 44-year-old, Mejid Hamzy.
Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Criminal Groups Squad established Strike Force Courier to investigate the shooting murder.
Officers were assisted throughout the investigation by the NSW Crime Commission (NSWCC).
During the investigation, police conducted two public appeals for information and released vision of three vehicles of interest.
Following extensive inquiries, Criminal Groups Squad detectives executed a Firearms Prohibition Order (FPO) search and six search warrants at Liverpool, Peakhurst, Bringelly and Helensburgh from 6am today (Wednesday 14 July 2021).
Strike Force Courier detectives were assisted throughout the operation by Raptor Squad, the Financial Crimes Squad’s Motor Unit and officers from South West Metropolitan Region Enforcement Squad.
During the searches, investigators seized four vehicles – including a suspected stolen Porsche.
Police also seized jewellery and several vehicle parts.
All items seized during the investigation will undergo further forensic examination.
A 38-year-old man was arrested at a home at Liverpool and taken to Liverpool Police Station, where he was charged with 17 offences including:
- knowingly deal with proceeds of crime (x2),
- recklessly deal with proceeds of crime (x8),
- drive motor vehicle during disqualification period,
- police pursuit – not stop – drive recklessly,
- drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous,
- possess prohibited drug,
- deal with property proceeds of crime,
- knowingly facilitate organised car rebirthing activity.
Police will allege in court that the man was involved in the planning of the murder.
He was refused bail to appear at Liverpool Local Court today (Wednesday 14 July 2021).
A 44-year-old man was arrested outside a home at Croydon and taken to Burwood Police Station, where he was charged with six offences including; deal with property proceeds of crime, manufacture prohibited drug (indictable quantity, not cannabis), possess drug manufacture apparatus make prohibited drug, possess precursor intend to use in manufacture/production, possess amount of precursor prescribed by regulations, and supply prohibited drug (indictable quantity).
Police will allege in court that the man was involved in concealing the BMW used in the incident.
The man was refused bail to appear at Burwood Local Court today (Wednesday 14 July 2021).
Minister for Police and Emergency Services, David Elliott, acknowledged the efforts of the Criminal Groups Squad investigators and Raptor Squad officers that have led to these recent arrests.
“We know that COVID-19 hasn’t stopped crooks, but more importantly it hasn’t hampered these significant police investigations,” Mr Elliott said.
“I want to congratulate the Criminal Groups Squad for their dogged determination that has led to today’s arrest of two men under Strike Force Courier, on the back of yesterday’s arrest of five people who were part of organised criminal syndicates.
“Twenty extra officers were recently allocated to the Raptor Squad and it’s pleasing to see them playing a critical role in apprehending offenders and making our streets safer,” Mr Elliott said.
State Crime Commander, Acting Assistant Commissioner Darren Bennett, said today’s arrests are the result of nearly 10 months of investigations by Strike Force Courier detectives.
“Since October last year, investigators have reviewed hours of CCTV vision and spoken to numerous witnesses to ensure those responsible are charged and put before the courts,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Bennett said.
“These investigations remain ongoing and the NSW Police Force will not rest until all the perpetrators of these crimes are behind bars.
“I want to reassure the community that these public acts of violence will not be tolerated by police and that detectives across the State Crime Command are working closely to investigate a number of shooting incidents in the past year,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Bennett said.
Investigations under Strike Force Courier are continuing.
As investigations continue, police are urging anyone that may assist Strike Force Courier detectives to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.