PLEASE NOTE: Media are reminded of their obligations under s15A of the Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act 1987 and s105 of the Children and Young Person (Care and Protection) Act 1998.
A man will appear in court today charged over the alleged historic sexual assault of two girls in the Riverina region.
In December last year, detectives from Riverina Police District commenced an investigation into allegations of historic child sexual assault by a man in the Riverina region between 2006 and 2020.
Following extensive investigations, detectives arrested a 37-year-old man at Deniliquin Police Station about 11am yesterday (Wednesday 20 January 2021).
The man was charged with:
– have sexual intercourse with person aged between 10 and 14 years,
– aggravated indecent assault – victim under authority of offender (x4)
– aggravated indecency – victim under 16 and under authority of offender,
– aggravated sexual assault – victim under the age of 16 years (x6),
– aggravated sexual assault – victim under authority of offender, and
– sexually touch another person without consent.
Police will allege in court that the man sexually assaulted two girls – then aged between 6 and 16 – who were known to him, over a four-year period, while they were in his care.
The man was refused bail to appear at Deniliquin Local Court today (Thursday 21 January 2021), where he was formally refused bail to appear in Wagga Wagga Local Court on Monday 25 January 2021.on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.
Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. People should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.