“It doesn’t matter what you wear, just as long as you are there. So come on, every guy, grab a girl, everywhere, around the world. They’ll be dancing, dancing in the street …”
The rhythmic theme of Martha and the Vandellas’ 1964 hit Dancing in the Street comes to Shields Street this Sunday with entertainment from KL Performance Industry, Cairns Latin Dance Club and Dance 2XS.
Add to that the thumping beats of Japanese Taiko drumming and the multicultural colour and spectacle from the Indonesian Association, and this weekend’s Sunday on Shields Dancing in the Street program promises to be an entertainment fiesta.
Shields Street will come to life from 11am to 8pm with a full program that also includes free face painters, jumping castle, Zumba in the City, market stalls and live music from atop Miss Nemo the Kombi.
Cairns Museum will be open this Sunday from 10am to 2pm (fees do apply).
Dancing in the Street entertainment includes:
- Drum Infinity Mugendai is a multi-cultural initiative that primarily focuses around Japanese Taiko drumming based in Cairns Queensland
- KL Performance Industry will entertain the audience with their amazing moves and costumes and provide interactive time for all children to enjoy
- The Samba dancers from the Cairns Latin Dance Club are looking forward to performing for you in their feathers and glitter
- Bring the little ones down to have fun dancing with Dance 2XS in their exciting READY, SET, DANCE class
- For a multi-cultural treat, the Indonesian Association is coming with a dazzling array of traditional dresses and traditional dance
Those heading into the CBD are reminded there is free parking is available on-street and at the Lake Street multi-storey carpark on Sundays.
Sunday on Shields
- 10am to 2pm: Cairns Museum will be open (fees do apply)
- 11am to 3pm:
- 11am: Opening with the beat of the Japanese drums – Infinity Mugendia Inc
- 11.30am: The stunning dance performance by the KL Performers will amaze
- 12.30pm: Samba Performance and dance class – Cairns Latin Dance Club
- 1.30pm: READY, SET, DANCE class for the little ones – Dance 2XS
- 2.30pm: Eastern Indonesian dance and stunning tradition costumes – Cairns Indonesian Australian Association
- 11am to 3pm: Face painters and Disney jumping castle
- 11am to 4pm: Local hand-made market stalls
- 4pm to 5pm: Zumba in the City
- 5pm onwards: Live entertainment on Miss Nemo the Kombi
- Plus more acts and surprises