Over the coming months, council will work with a Project Steering Committee to prepare a ten-year plan to grow our economy and improve the wellbeing of our communities. The Economic Development Strategy and Action Plan, 2021-31 Steering Committee has been appointed and the first meeting was held on 20 August 2020.
Council has selected Steering Committee members from industries that are considered to drive our economy, industries that all sectors in our Shire are in some way linked to and rely on, and those most impacted by COVID-19.
Small to medium sized businesses are critical to our economy and community. Most of the small to medium sized businesses in our Shire are from sectors that produce or process goods, like agriculture and manufacturing, as well as service sectors such as transport and retail. Most of our businesses are directly or indirectly linked to our primary industries.
We would like to introduce the Project Steering Committee members. Council and the Steering Committee will encourage all sectors to make a contribution, at several points in the process of preparing the Economic Development Strategy.
The committee members are:
● Jane Hosking – Executive Officer, North Central Local Learning And Employment Network (NCLLEN)
● Troy Cole – General manager, Stawell Gold Mine
● Trent Carter – Mixed Farmer, Wallaloo Park
● Ryan Milgate – Mixed Farmer and VFF Wimmera Branch Vice President
● Geoff McDermott – Navarre Minerals
● Michael Fitzgerald – Department of Education
● James Sorahan – Executive Director (Victoria), Mineral Council of Australia
● Ben Duxson – Glendemar Merinos Stud
● Marc Sleeman – CEO, Grampians Tourism
● Tim Mccartney – Economic Development Manager, Barengi Gadjin Land Council Aboriginal Corporation
● Kate Pryde – CEO, Stawell Regional Health
● Councillor Tony Driscoll – Project Steering Committee Chair
● Liana Thompson – CEO, Northern Grampians Shire Council
The committee will meet next on 3 September to finalise part one of the background report prior to commencing the first round of stakeholder engagement.
Northern Grampian Shire Council’s Have Your Say Website will contain all the project information and updates