The deadline for applications for the Palaszczuk Government’s job-creating Rural Economic Development Grants (RED) program has been extended so bushfire and drought-ravaged applicants don’t miss out.
Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries Mark Furner said over one hundred expression of interest applications had already been received for the second round of grants, but the extended deadline to Friday 27 September would mean applications held up by recent events could still be lodged.
“We have seen producers affected by bushfires over the last week, and we have just announced the official drought declaration in the North Burnett Regional Council area,” Mr Furner said.
“The first round of grants saw $3.3 million in grants supporting projects that will create up to 600 jobs and help 15 rural businesses to expand.
The Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority (QRIDA) has begun processing the applications already received to make sure the extended application deadline does not delay the overall second round timeline.
Mr Furner said the Palaszczuk Government had created more than 216,000 jobs since 2015 and wants to make sure every part of Queensland share in the benefits, including areas affected by bushfires and drought.
“That’s why our Rural Economic Development grants are so important. They help existing agricultural businesses to value-add and expand their capacity and create more jobs in rural communities,” Mr Furner said.
Rural Economic Development grants provide co-contributions up to $250,000 for food and agricultural businesses to support ‘shovel-ready’ projects that create jobs related to value added primary production and provide significant economic benefits to rural and regional communities.
The RED Grant program is funded for a total of $10 million over three years.