The sale of a former MidCoast Council administration building to the State Government has provided a location for Forster’s first ambulance station.
The site at 16 Breese Parade, Forster will enable NSW Ambulance paramedics to better meet the current and future demand for medical care in Forster and surrounds.
“We are thrilled about the positive community benefit that will be realised as a result of this sale,” MidCoast Council Mayor David West said.
The sale was made possible by the centralisation of Council’s administration functions into a single site in Taree earlier this year, Mayor West explained.
Parliamentary Secretary for Regional Housing and Member for Myall Lakes, Stephen Bromhead welcomed the site announcement and first look at the design of the ambulance station.
“The location is in an optimal position, mapped using NSW Ambulance best practice demand modelling software. The site was purchased from MidCoast Council and is a win-win with funds channeled back into the community,” Mr Bromhead said.
“It’s exciting to see the design for the new station, which will be a contemporary facility for our local paramedics and ensure they have the latest equipment and infrastructure to continue to deliver high-quality care,” he said.
Once completed the new station in Forster will include internal parking for up to six emergency ambulance vehicles, administration and office areas and staff amenities.
The property was one of two MidCoast Council properties marketed by Colliers of Newcastle for sale or lease earlier this year as part of the endorsed financing strategy for Council’s centralised Administration and Customer Service Centre at Yalawanyi Ganya, Taree.
As part of the project for the new building, the elected Council endorsed a financing strategy that outlined how the project would be funded.
“Part of the funding strategy involves the sale or lease of a number of Council properties,” Mayor West explained.
The full list of properties identified and their current status is as follows:
- the former water office 16 Breese Parade Forster – sold to NSW State Government for ambulance station for Forster community
- vacant land on The Lakes Way, Tuncurry – sold
- vacant land in Chapmans Road Tuncurry – contracts entered into with buyer
- a block of vacant land 18 Breese Parade Forster – expressions of interest closed and sale under negotiation
- the former water office in Muldoon Street Taree – leased to Local Land Services (State Government)
- the former Council offices in Pulteney Street Taree – currently housing flood recovery support and being marketed for lease
- the former Forster office in Breese Parade Forster – to be marketed in the future