Second man charged over alleged Merrylands kidnapping – Strike Force Raptor

A second man has been charged as investigations continue into the circumstances surrounding the alleged kidnapping of another man in Sydney’s west last year.

Strike Force Hackett was established by the Criminal Groups Squad’s Strike Force Raptor to investigate the alleged kidnapping of a 44-year-old man at Merrylands on Thursday 26 July 2018.

A 37-year-old Sefton man was previously charged with take/detain person in company with intent to obtain advantage and participate criminal group contribute criminal activity.

He remains before the courts and is next due to appear at Burwood Local Court on Wednesday 27 March 2019.

Police will allege in court the man is one of three people who punched the 44-year-old man to the ground on Daphne Street, Merrylands, before taking him against his will to the backyard of a home on Blackwood Road and threatening him.

Following further inquiries, strike force detectives, assisted by the Public Order and Riot Squad, arrested a 26-year-old man at a Moorebank home just after 8.30am yesterday (Thursday 14 March 2019).

He was taken to Liverpool Police Station and charged with take/detain person in company with intent to obtain advantage, participate criminal group contribute criminal activity, and possess prohibited drug.

The man was refused bail and appeared at Liverpool Local Court, where he was granted strict conditional bail to reappear at Parramatta Local Court on Wednesday 8 May 2019.

Criminal Groups Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Deb Wallace, said investigators are still seeking a third man in relation to the incident.

“Our current inquiries are focused on locating 33-year-old, Bilal Haouchar, who is wanted on two outstanding warrants, including an arrest warrant for kidnapping, and breaching a community order,” Det Supt Wallace said.

“Strike Force Hackett detectives believe Mr Haouchar is overseas and will continue working closely with interstate and federal law enforcement agencies to find him.

“Anyone who knows him, or who has information that may be relevant to our inquiries is urged to make contact with investigators,” Det Supt Wallace said.

Investigations under Strike Force Hackett are ongoing.

Anyone with information in that may assist Strike Force Hackett detectives is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.

/Public Release. View in full here.