Innovative approaches to increasing the supply of affordable housing in the ACT are being sought with funding of between $5,000 and $220,000 available through the $1 million Affordable Housing Innovation Fund.
The ACT Government aims to encourage and promote a housing market that meets the diverse and changing needs of the Canberra community. Every Canberran, no matter their circumstances, should have access to safe and affordable housing that suits their needs.
This second round of the Affordable Housing Innovation Fund is calling for:
- A home sharing scheme
- Specialist disability accommodation project
- Supported housing projects on underutilised community facility land
- Dedicated accommodation for low income families escaping domestic violence
- Other innovative approaches to boosting affordable housing supply
The fund will look to support pilot projects and provide funding to support the initial stages of innovative new programs until they can become self-sustaining.
The ACT is the fastest growing jurisdiction in the country and we need sustainable supply of housing for individuals and families at all income levels and, in turn, provide land and housing development opportunities to meet demand.
The Affordable Housing Innovation Fund was initially announced in late 2017 at the ACT Housing and Homelessness Summit. The approach to affordable housing has gained much interest across the ACT and the government is delivering on its commitment to establish the program.
The first round of the Affordable Housing Innovation Fund, funded:
- Community Housing Canberra Incorporated to establish a new affordable rental real estate management model, based on the approach of HomeGround.
- Environmental Collective Housing Organisation and Smart Urban Villagest to test innovative, sustainable design with shared use of common spaces or with collective ownership models, similar to the Nightingale model.
Current service providers and new entrants to the sector are welcome to apply. The program will provide support funding for up to one year. Applications are now open until 27 May 2019.
The creation of an innovation fund to support new approaches of affordable housing forms part of the ACT Greens and ACT Labor Parliamentary Agreement.