Today, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J.
Austin III, published his Message to the Force, which committed to ensuring that the Department develops the right people, priorities, and purpose of mission to continue to defend the Nation from enemies foreign and domestic.
Secretary Austin provided his top three priorities and specific areas of focus:
Defend the Nation
- Defeat COVID-19
- Prioritize China as the Pacing Challenge
- Address Advanced and Persistent Threats
- Innovate and Modernize the DoD
- Tackle the Climate Crisis
Take care of our people
- Grow our Talent
- Build Resilience and Readiness
- Ensure Accountable Leadership
Succeed through teamwork
- Join Forces with our Allies and Partners
- Work in Partnership with Our Nation
- Build Unity Within the DoD
Secretary Austin reiterated the need for resources matched to strategy, strategy matched to policy, and policy matched to the will of the American people.
The Secretary closed the message by thanking the women and men of the Department of Defense for their service to the country and commitment to the security of the Nation.