Low lying properties in Kempsey CBD: Evacuate by midnight 20th March 2021
NSW SES is directing people within Kempsey CBD, Eden Street and areas east of the railway line north up to Frederickton to evacuate the high danger area.
Once floodwater passes 6.6 metres on the Kempsey gauge, the Kempsey CBD levee may start to over top and roads will begin to close.
The areas affected are:
- Kempsey CBD,
- Eden Street and
- areas east of the railway line north up to Frederickton
Why we are directing people to evacuate.
There is a high risk that the levee may overtop. Once flood water begins inundating the area road access water, sewerage, power, phones and internet may be lost. If you remain in the area you will be trapped and it may be too dangerous for SES to rescue you.
Where to go if Evacuation is required:
Wherever possible, people should go and stay with family or friends, or make other accommodation arrangements. If you are unable to, an evacuation centre has been set up at the following.
What we are expecting:
Once floodwater begins inundating the area, road access may be cut. If you remain in the area after this time, you may become trapped and it may be too dangerous for NSW SES to rescue you.
What you need to do:
Low lying properties should
- Lift possessions and important items above the predicted flood height
- Take pets, essential items, warm clothes, medicines, insurance documents and valuables with you.
- Leave as early as possible to avoid restricted roads.
- Share this information with family, friends and neighbours and help others where possible.