Greater Shepparton City Council, in partnership with the Municipal Association of Victoria, will hold a Stand for Council Community and Candidate Information Session via Zoom on Monday 3 August, for those interested in standing in the 2020 Local Government Elections.
This session is in addition to the Victorian Local Governance Association (VLGA) Candidate Information Session tomorrow night, Wednesday 29 July.
The Stand for Council session will be held from 6pm-8pm online due to COVID-19 restrictions, and will cover:
- The role and purpose of local government
- The new Local Government Act 2020
- Introduction to your council and information on the municipal area
- Roles, responsibilities and expectations of a councillor
- The experience of being a councillor
- The electoral process and campaigning including key dates and information provided by the Victorian Electoral Commission.
CEO of Mitchell Shire, Mary Agostino, will deliver a 15-minute presentation on the roles and responsibilities of the Mayor, Councillor and CEO, the relationships between Councillors, the CEO and staff, good governance and Councillor obligations and allowances.
While these sessions are not mandatory, Council encourages those interested in running in the 2020 Elections to attend.
Those wishing to attend must register here to be sent the meeting password.