Due to the very cold and wet forecast conditions across South Australia, a state-wide Code Blue response for people sleeping rough will be activated from today through to Friday.
During a Code Blue activation, Housing SA, together with its non-government partners, makes additional accommodation available for extended hours for people sleeping rough.
The Code Blue response applies for metropolitan Adelaide and is also activated in the regions, including Murray Bridge, the Riverland, Mount Gambier, Victor Harbour, Kangaroo Island, Port Pirie, Port Augusta, Port Lincoln, Ceduna, Whyalla, Kadina, and Clare.
South Australians sleeping rough can seek help at:
* Westcare (Baptist Care SA) will be open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for overnight accommodation. 11/19 Millers Ct, Adelaide.
* Hutt Street Centre will be offering extended hours until 5:00pm on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
* Street to Home will be offering additional outreach services to people sleeping rough on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 8am to 8pm.
* Say.kitchen will provide overnight accommodation, commencing at 6:30pm on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. 78 Currie St, Adelaide.
* People sleeping rough in the regions should contact the 24/7 Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308 for assistance.
“Over the next few days, temperatures are plummeting across South Australia and there is forecast rain – and that’s why, we, together with our homelessness partners, will be activating a state-wide Code Blue tonight until Friday,” said Minister Lensink.
“People who are experiencing homelessness in these regions and need assistance to take shelter from these conditions can call the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308. This number operates 24/7, every day of the year.”
Minister Lensink said a substantial number of people experiencing homelessness were still in motel rooms as part of the Marshall Liberal Government’s swift coronavirus pandemic response.
“Supporting South Australians into safe, secure and stable long-term housing is our continued aim and we are committed to helping people into a range of housing options following their stay in motels,” said Minister Lensink.
Current Code Blue criteria, as determined in conjunction with the Government’s NGO partners, includes:
* Conditions predicted to continue for at least three days by BOM with any two of the following: temperatures dropping below an average night-time low of 6C, significant rainfall and damaging wind, OR
* Conditions predicted by BOM to continue for at least five days, when temperatures drop below an average night-time low of 5C