SA Police have generally been pleased with the behaviour of people on public transport during the Adelaide Fringe season.
As a reminder, below are a number of crime prevention tips that those using public transport during the Adelaide Fringe season should consider for their own safety and those around them:
* Be familiar with your transport timetable and check it to limit waiting time.
* Stand in well-lit areas near other people and sit with other passengers or close to the driver.
* Always keep a firm hold on your personal belongings.
* If you are travelling alone at night arrange to be met or collected at your stop.
* If the behaviour of someone is offensive or illegal, tell the driver and contact the police.
* Where possible, book a taxi over the phone as the driver’s details will be recorded and take note of the driver’s ID number that should be displayed on the front dash. Sit in the rear seat of the taxi.
* Be conscious of your surroundings. If you are concerned with the route being taken to your destination or if something doesn’t feel right, ring a friend and tell them where you are and the taxi number.
* If you feel uncomfortable or in fear for your safety direct the driver to stop, leave the vehicle and seek assistance.
* Decline offers to share a fare with a stranger.
Let’s all stay safe during this festive time of the year.