Upgrade works are being carried out on Rural Fire Service (RFS) Stations as part of The Hills Shire Council’s commitment to our frontline firefighters.
Council has completed various upgrades and repairs at seven stations across the Hills district, with the final station upgrade scheduled to be completed at the end of September.
“These upgrades were part of our ongoing commitment to ensuring our RFS personnel and volunteers have the best possible stations and facilities when responding to local emergencies,” Mayor of The Hills Shire, Dr Michelle Byrne said.
“We’ve already been through one of the worst fire seasons on record and during this time, our RFS did a phenomenal job to stop the mega Gospers Fire from jumping the river into our Shire. They worked around the clock to prevent further damage and destruction, and also supported other crews across the state to battle other fires.
“I am so thankful for our RFS and I’m proud Council can support this wonderful organisation in this way,” Mayor Byrne added.
Superintendent John Hojel said: “The Hills District Rural Fire Service is extremely fortunate to have such a wonderful working relationship with The Hills Shire Council. The ongoing support for improvements to brigade infrastructure is greatly appreciated as it provides our volunteers with a safe and functioning environment to train and operate within.”
Works carried out at each of the local Hills RFS stations included:
- Rural Fire Service Hills Fire Control Centre: Internal and external drainage improvements, lighting upgrades and communication tower refurbishments.
- Rural Fire Station Annangrove: Superstructure works to maintain structural integrity to the buildings internal/external walls, plumbing upgrades and new floor coverings in the meeting room.
- Rural Fire Station Kellyville: Kitchen upgrade, roller door replacement and external bathroom upgrade.
- Rural Fire Station North Rocks: Retaining wall reconstruction to stabilise slope and improve safety around brigade facility.
- Rural Fire Station South Maroota: Water tank installation to increase available water for incidents and hazard reductions.
- Rural Fire Station Wisemans Ferry: Roller door replacement.
- Rural Fire Station Hill Side: Communication tower replacement to be completed in September.