Tasmanian Man Charged Over $580,000 Cash Seizure

Police have seized about $580,000 in cash, found in a shopping bag, and charged a man as part of an operation targeting alleged drug distribution syndicates in Tasmania.

Officers from the Tasmania Joint Organised Crime Task Force (JOCTF), which combines the resources of Tasmania Police, Australian Federal Police and Australian Border Force, were part of the months-long investigation which involved the arrest of an alleged cash courier earlier in August.

Police identified a man from southern Tasmania in the investigation, with authorities intercepting the man while he was driving near Melton Mowbray, on the Midland Highway, on Sunday, August 17, and conducting a search under warrant.

During the search, police allege they found a significant amount of cash that was contained in several sealed plastic bags in a supermarket-style cooler bag.

Authorities seized the cash which was forensically examined and estimated to be about $580,000. Pictures are available here.

A 31-year-old man was arrested and appeared in Hobart Magistrates Court on August 18 charged with:

• One count of dealing with property, more than $100,000 reasonably suspected of being proceeds of crime, contrary to section 400.4(1) of the Criminal Code (Cth). The maximum penalty for this offence is 20 years' imprisonment: and

• One count of failure to comply with a 3LA Order, contrary to section 3LA(5) of the Crimes Act (Cth). The maximum penalty for this offence is 10 years' imprisonment.

He was bailed to reappear in the Hobart Magistrates Court on November 6, 2025.

Last week, police also searched two other addresses in southern Tasmania linked to the man, where a further $50,000 in cash and other items were seized.

Tasmania Police Crime and Intelligence Command Inspector Troy Morrisby said the cash seizures formed part of an investigation in which police allege the money is linked to the distribution of illicit drugs.

"Our detectives, working closely with our partners at the Australian Federal Police and Australian Border Force, used a variety of investigative techniques over a prolonged period during this operation," Inspector Morrisby said.

"This recent seizure of significant sums of money is the result of dedicated police work and we aim to make further inroads to disrupt the movement of drugs in our community."

AFP Detective Sergeant Nick Gibson said police would continue to investigate how the man came to be in possession of the cash.

"The JOCTF's mission is to prevent organised crime syndicates from infiltrating Tasmania's supply chains and trafficking illicit commodities into Tasmania and elsewhere in Australia," Sergeant Gibson said.

"The AFP works closely with partners to protect the community and Australia's legitimate economy and ensure potentially dirty money does not continue to fund future criminal endeavours.

"Criminal networks can use unexplained cash to support other serious criminal activities.

"The message to these criminals is simple, the AFP and our partners won't stop until we have shut down your illegal and harmful activities."

If you have information regarding the distribution of illicit drugs in the community, contact police on 131 444 or report anonymously to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online at www.crimestopperstas.com.au

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) might be of the point-in-time nature, and edited for clarity, style and length. Mirage.News does not take institutional positions or sides, and all views, positions, and conclusions expressed herein are solely those of the author(s).View in full here.