Outstanding achievers in oneof the Territorys most important fields, early childhood care, have beenhonoured at the Education and Care Awards, held last night at Parliament House.
The awards recognise peopleand programs delivering outstanding early childhood services that have asignificant influence on the crucial early years of childrens lives and setsthem up to reach their full potential.
Birth to five years is a critical development time forchildren, which is why it is important to recognise the professionals who are workinghard to contribute to bright futures for Territory children.
This year, there were 91Education and Care Award nominations from across the Northern Territory.
Winners receive a scholarship to contribute to theirprofessional development.
The 2019 Northern TerritoryEducation and Care Award recipients are:
- Emergingeducator Lauren Winfield, Millner Primary Preschool and Sylvette Maralwuy, Milingimbi Preschool
- Outstandingeducator Trish Whitaker, Jabiru Families as First Teachers Program
- Outstandingleader Meg Hewett, Galiwinku Family as First Teachers Program
- Outstandingachievement in community engagement Katherine Isolated Childrens Service
- Outstandingachievement in innovative practice Smile-a-Mile Fun Bus
Quotesattributable to Minister for Education, Selena Uibo.
Development and learning inthe crucial first five years of a childs life is so important for setting themup for success in the future and our dedicated early childhood educators andsupport staff work tirelessly for our Territory children.
I congratulate all this yearswinners and nominees for the outstanding work they are doing in helping ourchildren achieve bright futures.
The Territory LaborGovernment recognises just how crucial quality education and childcare servicesare in the first five years of a childs life, which is why we are investingheavily in the early years, expanding our Families as First Teachers programfrom 27 in 2016 to 53 by the end of 2020, along with 11 new Child and FamilyCentres during our term in Government.